PDA

View Full Version : Bad update experience

glmarsh
7th March 2010, 07:37 AM
I just got an update notice two hours ago and after updating I rebooted my machine to find that it no longer boots. The update was for 23 bug fixes for Nvidia drivers and Nvidia support software. I get a black screen with the message "serial8250: too much work for irq17" and a blinking cursor. How do I recover from this?

My platform is a Fedora 12 64-bit version build 2.6.31.12-174.2.22.fc12.x86_64.

Regards,

glmarsh

schamarthi1
7th March 2010, 07:46 AM
i too get trapped by this. update and screen goes blank.
I had reinstalled fedora 12 twice now.
can some one solve this problem!

CSchwangler
7th March 2010, 08:33 AM
Did you get a new kernel with this update (I got a new one today)? If yes, try booting the old kernel and see if that works.

Gaurav Prabhu
7th March 2010, 09:45 AM
I too updated yesterday & got a New Kernel 2.6.31.9. Now the Nvidia driver doesn't works & my screen resolution gets reduced when I boot inside Fedora 12. Running "xconfig-nvidia" doesn't helps.

Now I'm back on earlier kernel.
Any fix for the above?

CSchwangler
7th March 2010, 09:59 AM
Could that be the problem?

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=241799

Nokia
7th March 2010, 11:35 AM
Could that be the problem?

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=241799That has nothing to do with it.

I too updated yesterday & got a New Kernel 2.6.31.9. Now the Nvidia driver doesn't works & my screen resolution gets reduced when I boot inside Fedora 12. Running "xconfig-nvidia" doesn't helps.

Now I'm back on earlier kernel.
Any fix for the above?
F11 by chance ?

i too get trapped by this. update and screen goes blank.
I had reinstalled fedora 12 twice now.
can some one solve this problem!I guess you got the -67 kernel that doesn't boot on some machines. Boot the older kernel and do
su -
yum update --enablerepo=u*gIf still having errors, you'll need to come up with more details though.

Gaurav Prabhu
7th March 2010, 05:53 PM
No, i am on Fedora 12.
I now get "init : prefdm respawning too fast". The booting halts then.

honestguv
7th March 2010, 06:21 PM
Perhaps this will help some people.

After the upgrade that included the new kernel my machine failed to find a suitable nvidia driver after the reboot. The solution for me was to reboot and choose an older kernel (having changed the timeout in /boot/grub/grub.conf file to something longer than 0) and then wait for the rpmfusion repository to catch up with the fedora repository which it did a few hours later. Another update and a reboot and we are back to an up-to-date working system.

Nokia
7th March 2010, 11:02 PM

After the upgrade that included the new kernel my machine failed to find a suitable nvidia driver after the reboot. The solution for me was to reboot and choose an older kernel (having changed the timeout in /boot/grub/grub.conf file to something longer than 0) and then wait for the rpmfusion repository to catch up with the fedora repository which it did a few hours later. Another update and a reboot and we are back to an up-to-date working system.
OR you could have done
su -c "yum install akmod-nvidia" and never care about missing kmods ;)

glmarsh
7th March 2010, 11:31 PM
Unfortunately, earlier in the day yesterday my system failed to boot from the update I had done the night before so I booted up in an earlier kernel version. I was running the second kernel version when I made the Nvidia update. So now I have two corrupted kernels not just one and I only have two version of the kernel on my machine at this time.

Is there any other remedy?

glmarsh

Nokia
7th March 2010, 11:33 PM
Unfortunately, earlier in the day yesterday my system failed to boot from the update I had done the night before so I booted up in an earlier kernel version. I was running the second kernel version when I made the Nvidia update. So now I have two corrupted kernels not just one and I only have two version of the kernel on my machine at this time.

Is there any other remedy?

glmarsh

glmarsh
8th March 2010, 12:01 AM
The only way I can get to a command line is to boot up the installation disk and select the recovery mode. From there I can get to the command line but when I execute the line of code you offered "rpm -qa | grep -e nvidia -e kernel | sort" nothing happens. I reboot and nothing has changed, I still get the message on a black screen, "fuse init (API version 7.12) <CR><LF>serial8250: too much work for irq17"

glmarsh

Nokia
8th March 2010, 12:06 AM
Try booting any available kernel in runlevel 3

glmarsh
8th March 2010, 12:14 AM
How do you boot a kernel in a runlevel 3? When grup comes up I select the only kernel I have left but I don't get a runlevel option?

glmarsh

Nokia
8th March 2010, 12:18 AM
Dunno how you managed to get rid of the older kernels...:confused:

Select the remaining kernel line, press e to edit, append 3 to the end of it, and perhaps it would be helpful to remove rhgb and quiet, then press Escape to exit and b to boot it.

glmarsh
8th March 2010, 12:51 AM
OK Nokia.... going in under runlevel 3 and executing "rpm -qa|grep -e nvidia -e kernel|sort" did nothing when I rebooted. So I went in again under runlevel 3 and executed "su -c "yum install akmod-nvidia" and after rebooting I got a login prompt but when logging in it stalled and didn't load all the way. I rebooted the system one more time and everything came up. Wow I am up an running again. A Huge Thanks!!!

glmarsh

Nokia
8th March 2010, 12:53 AM
Now I really need that output. No kidding.

glmarsh
8th March 2010, 01:16 AM
Now I really need that output. No kidding.

Nokia there wasn't an output just a light blue screen with a pointer mouse cursor. The boot up just stopped at that point and didn't continue. After a while I punched the power button and rebooted. On the second reboot the boot sequence completed correctly. This used to happen all the time after an update. The first boot up after an update would stall and after a second reboot everything worked fine. I guess I just got use to doing it and didn't give it much thought. Is there a log file that gets written to that I can forward to you?

I guess I should clarify this a bit. The boot sequence completes and you get a login prompt and after you enter the password this is when you get the light blue screen and pointer mouse cursor and everything stalls. After reading the above I realized it didn't come out quite right.

glmarsh

Nokia
8th March 2010, 01:22 AM
Sorry. I meant the output of the command posted in #11

glmarsh
8th March 2010, 01:42 AM
When I entered the command "rpm -qa | grep -e nvidia -e kernel | sort" I didn't see an output but I wasn't at a runlevel 3 either I was at the command prompt that you get when you boot off the install disk and select recovery mode. I don't think the commands are fully supported from this shell. I did try it again as described in post #16 but there didn't seem to be any change in the bootup behavior. It wasn't until I entered your command listed in post#9 that everything began working.

glmarsh

Gaurav Prabhu
10th March 2010, 07:06 AM

I too updated & now the system is working fine but 3D support has been disabled. Nvidia panel shows its using the driver but how can I make it run in 3D mode?

Darr247
10th March 2010, 08:28 AM
When I entered the command "rpm -qa | grep -e nvidia -e kernel | sort" I didn't see an output but I wasn't at a runlevel 3 either I was at the command prompt that you get when you boot off the install disk and select recovery mode. I don't think the commands are fully supported from this shell. I did try it again as described in post #16 but there didn't seem to be any change in the bootup behavior. It wasn't until I entered your command listed in post#9 that everything began working.

glmarsh

Ummm... well, you could run it from terminal now and copy/paste the results to a post. If Nokia still wanted to see them, that is.

------------------------------------------------------------
To everyone else (since us peons are allowed only 1 post a day in each thread, apparently)...
with nvidia problems:
Have all you guys followed leigh123linux's HowTo at
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=204752 ?

First message in that thread is currently for fc12; 2nd message covers fc11; 3rd is for fc10... I would imagine a howto for fc13 will take over the first spot within a couple weeks, pushing fc10 off the end.

And contrary to the "(No Questions)" admonishment in the Guides & Solutions forum title, they expect people to ignore that and post problems with nvidia drivers in that thread. Intuitive, eh?