PDA

View Full Version : Problem dual-booting with Windows 7

c8220
1st March 2010, 01:17 AM
Earlier today I tried to put fedora 12 on my windows 7 laptop. First I partitioned my drive in windows so I would have OS, Recovery, Extra, and some free space. I did the fedora install with live CD and installed on the free space. When I rebooted my computer grub came up and gave me the option to boot fedora or other. Fedora worked fine but the other wouldn't boot windows and said it couldn't find BTMGR. When I logged into fedora I checked my partitions and they were all still there nothing was erased. Can anybody help me? Thanks a bunch.

stoat
1st March 2010, 01:53 AM
Hello c8220,

It happens all the time. Anaconda (the Fedora installer) is good about adding an existing Windows system to the GRUB menu, but it is also infamous for getting the partition wrong. You might be able to fix this yourself. Study the results of these two terminal commands in Fedora...
su
fdisk -l
cat /boot/grub/grub.confIf you see what to change in the "Other" section of the grub.conf, then open it for editing and make the change...
su
gedit /boot/grub/grub.confSometimes it is not obvious in the fdisk report which partition has the Windows boot loader files. In that case, just guess. Try every possible Windows compatible primary partition. Sometimes the Windows boot loader files are discovered to be on an unexpected partition. Ignore logical partitions because they never have the Windows boot loader files. It does no harm to guess at the Windows partition in grub.conf. If you did not destroy the partition with the Windows boot loader files while installing Fedora, then one of those partitions will work.

P.S.: If you need some help with it, then return and post that fdisk and grub.conf stuff.

c8220
1st March 2010, 02:28 AM
It worked great. Thanks for your help.

jamesph
1st March 2010, 03:52 AM
However there is an updated guidelines on how to dual-boot the great ones together. I actually needed it for my college lab. It helped me a lot. http://thpc.info/dual/win7/dualboot_win7+fedora11_grub_on_win7.html Specially the step-by-step way is the cool one.