PDA

View Full Version : Screams: gtkpod


dsmyth
22nd February 2010, 10:58 PM
BEAUTIFUL!!!

I've posted some amount of rubbish since joining the forums and this one will be no different.

This is amazing...
I've being missing out on some wonderful software and today I came across another one gtkpod.

One of the reasons, well the second reason, for having Windows floating around was for the iPod and iTunes. Never bought anything from iTunes because well Apple and DRM yeah so just used iTunes to convert CD's (to lossless) and to keep the library and iPod in sync. Hated; absolutely hated the fact that once a CD goes onto the iPod you couldn't take it back off again... hated that so much.

Then I find out about gtkpod ... quick read over the manual ok lets see if a quick 'sudo yum install gtkpod' will ... *screams* it did. BEAUTIFUL.... thank you to all the people involved in Fedora! thank you! thank you.

I now have complete and utter freedom to my iPod !! who the **** needs Windows!!

gtkpod and ffmpeg is all I need!! (youtube-dl and iplayer-dl as well)

thank you!

wolfen69
23rd February 2010, 03:16 AM
My faith in linux is now restored, thanks to your heartwarming testimonial. Go forth and spread the gospel according to St. Torvalds.

aleph
23rd February 2010, 03:17 AM
quick read over the manual

This alone has put you in the top 5% of all users. :D And the rest 95% won't hear your scream. ;)

dsmyth
24th February 2010, 01:12 AM
oh yeah; you have to read the manual!!... :)

got to post about something that happened a couple of days ago. A 'senior' developer where I worked asked me... 'do you know how to change the current directory using Ruby code' ... 'sure, sit down'... with him sitting there I loaded up a browser typed 'changing the current directory using Ruby' and embarrassed the hell out of him as the first result was exactly what he was looking for.

See people who don't read the manual!! see people who don't even try! Sometimes it's understandable, complete beginners I can understand depending on how technical the subject is but all it takes is a quick search and a bit of a read.

Anyway thanks chaps for reading and replying. Linux is wonderful; Freedom is wonderful.
Hopefully see you both around. (a big nee-how-ma to Beijing!)

---------- Post added 2010-02-24 at 12:12 AM CST ---------- Previous post was 2010-02-23 at 10:07 PM CST ----------

Update: when saving changes made in gtkpod back to the iPod there maybe an "Error: Unknown Firewire ID".

Here is the solution.

================================================== =======

The other thing to try is to run ipod-read-sysinfo-extended. The
arguments for the program are <dev> <mountpoint>. The device will be
something like /dev/sdb. You can look at the output of dmesg|tail
after you've plugged your ipod in to see what device name it has. You
do want to use the raw device like sdb rather than sdb1 or sdb2, etc.
The mountpoint would be /media/IPOD in your case. So the command
might be:

ipod-read-sysinfo-extended /dev/sdb /media/IPOD

That will attempt to read the FireWireGUID from the ipod and save it
as a file on the ipod so that amarok, gtkpod, and other libgpod using
apps can get at it easily.

================================================== =======

Or do it manually, you need to get your
firewire id manually. To do that, run “sudo lsusb -v | grep -i Serial” (without
the “”) with your iPod plugged in, this should print a 16 character long string
like 00A1234567891231. Once you have that number, create/edit
/mnt/ipod/iPod_Control/Device/SysInfo (if your iPod is mounted at /mnt/ipod).
Add to that file the line below:
FirewireGuid: 0xffffffffffffffff
(replace ffffffffffffffff with the string you obtained at the previous step)
Save that file, and you should be all set. Be careful when using apps which
lets you manually specify which iPod model you own, they may overwrite that
file when you do that. So if after doing that libgpod still seems to write
invalid content to the iPod, double-check the content of that SysInfo file to
make sure the FirewireGuid line you added isn’t gone. If that happens, readd it
to the end of the file, and make sure libgpod rewrite the iPod content.

Restart Amarok or whatever your audio program is.