PDA

View Full Version : Pulseaudio CPU Usage In F13

dd_wizard
21st February 2010, 01:06 AM
I guess it's time to start posting F13 questions here, instead of the Rawhide thread. I don't have an F12 installation I can use for testing atm, so would someone mind comparing pulseaudio cpu usage between F12 and F13? It's consistantly running 16%-17% cpu usage in F13, and I don't remember it being that high back in F12.

Thanks,
dd_wizard

hephasteus
21st February 2010, 01:34 AM
Testing updates pulse is broken. They changed package layout to new style But the code for them will be exactly the same. I haven't regressed back to stable yet. So same code as you.
Pulse doesn't register cpu usage on mine. But totem can register 30 pecent usage on my system and rythmbox decoding same one won't register. But 3-17 percent on the core seems to be what it's using.
Totem uses ~30 percent on 2 cores for an avi also and ~42-44 percent for a 720p h264 with pulse actually showing 2 to 4 percent usage.
What's your sound chip?

dd_wizard
21st February 2010, 01:38 AM
I use htop when cpu usage is high, but the task doesn't show up in System Monitor. That's where I see the Pulseaudio using more cpu than anything else.

Thanks,
dd_wizard

---------- Post added at 04:38 PM CST ---------- Previous post was at 04:36 PM CST ----------

Oh, Intel and Realtek for sound chip.

hephasteus
21st February 2010, 03:18 AM
I use htop when cpu usage is high, but the task doesn't show up in System Monitor. That's where I see the Pulseaudio using more cpu than anything else.

Thanks,
dd_wizard

---------- Post added at 04:38 PM CST ---------- Previous post was at 04:36 PM CST ----------

Oh, Intel and Realtek for sound chip.

I wish someone would kick Realtek until they figure out that making 17 different sound chips is not a good idea. They need to settle down and go back to 4 chips max.

jvillain
4th April 2010, 11:29 PM
I was having no problems running under phonon except having to kill off Amarok any time I wanted to watch a movie out of Firefox. The reason being that only one app could attach to /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p at a time.

I thought I would try out the new wonderful awesome integrates great with phonon version of pulse that comes with 13. Well it does integrate great and I don't have to kill off myapps to switch between them. But now I have drop outs in my sound all of the time. I have a 4 core CPU and 4G of RAM and load doesn't seem to be an issue.

Is there any thing I can do to get rid of the sound drop outs other than rip pulse out again?

AdamW
6th April 2010, 09:04 PM
You can have a look at https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_debug_PulseAudio_problems to try and see if any of the tips help, or if you can find some useful error messages.