PDA

View Full Version : VirtualBox - Failed to start virtual machine

denisk
19th February 2010, 12:32 PM
Hi,

after upgrading VirtualBox from 3.0.x to VirtualBox-OSE-3.1.2-1.fc12.x86_64 VBox fails to start any virtual machine with error:
Failed to open/create the internal network 'HostInterfaceNetworking-eth0' (VERR_SUPDRV_COMPONENT_NOT_FOUND).

When I run
sudo /etc/sysconfig/modules/VirtualBox-OSE.modules
I get
FATAL: Error inserting vboxnetflt (/lib/modules/2.6.31.12-174.2.19.fc12.x86_64/extra/VirtualBox-OSE/vboxnetflt.ko): Invalid module format
FATAL: Error inserting vboxnetadp (/lib/modules/2.6.31.12-174.2.19.fc12.x86_64/extra/VirtualBox-OSE/vboxnetadp.ko): Invalid module format

Kernel is (obviously) kernel-2.6.31.12-174.2.19.fc12.x86_64, but same thing happens with any installed kernel, IE kernel-rt-2.6.31.12-1.rt20.1.fc12.ccrma.x86_64

I reinstalled VBox and kmods got rebuilt but the problem persists.
Any Ideas?

josercl
19th February 2010, 04:18 PM
i had exactly the same issue but using PAE kernel, it has something to do with vboxnetflt and vboxnetapd modules not being loaded correctly with modprobe, i had to install them manually with insmod

just run:
insmod /lib/modules/`uname -r`/extra/VirtualBox-OSE/vboxnetflt.ko
insmod /lib/modules/`uname -r`/extra/VirtualBox-OSE/vboxnetadp.ko

denisk
19th February 2010, 05:44 PM
thanks for the reply,
The script /etc/sysconfig/modules/VirtualBox-OSE.modules from my post does exactly that except it uses modprobe instead of insmod, but the result is same: Invalid module format

here's the script

# User is advised to run this on upgrades
/sbin/modprobe -r -b vboxnetflt &>/dev/null ||:
/sbin/modprobe -r -b vboxdrv &>/dev/null ||:
/sbin/modprobe -r -b vboxnetadp &>/dev/null ||:

/sbin/modprobe -b vboxdrv
/sbin/modprobe -b vboxnetflt
/sbin/modprobe -b vboxnetadp

---------- Post added at 05:44 PM CST ---------- Previous post was at 05:25 PM CST ----------

oops, sorry jose, you are right. insmod works!

but I could swear that it didn't work this morning :). In the meantime I completely reinstalled VirtualBox and rebooted the machine.

Thanks again.