PDA

View Full Version : Akonadi + KDE

jvillain
16th February 2010, 04:25 AM
I have been happy to just kind of ignore Akonadi / Nepomuk up till now but that is becoming harder and harder and besides I am sure that it is good for me. So let me start by asking does any one actually know what the status of it is supposed to be these days? It seems that bits keep getting dropped in here and there to make it useful within KDE but I never seem to see announcements around it. Is it supposed to work yet or no?

The reason I ask is that every time I launch Kontact now we go through a production of it starting Akonadi and then after it is started erroring out. I have followed the links it gives but I am not sure on what the proper stack is supposed to be within Fedora. Are we supposed to be using Soprano?

When I run "akonadictl start" I get the following message

Nepomuk Indexing Agents Have Been Disabled
The Nepomuk service is not available or fully operational and attempts to rectify this have failed. Therefore indexing of all data stored in the Akonadi PIM service has been disabled, which will severely limit the capabilities of any application using this data.

The following problems were detected:
Nepomuk is not running.

mysqld is started. I have the qt-mysql package installed. I am deeply confused. Can any one shed some light?

DivineShadow
26th February 2010, 12:55 AM
It took me quite some time during an f10 -> f12 upgrade/install to NOT use akonadi. Kontact has been working FINE under f12 Gnome for some months only for someone in Fedora to make the decision on my behalf that I should be running 15 additional processes and a stub MySQL to access my calendar! Aaaaargh! IT'S AN iCalendar FILE for ****-sake! There's even a standard.

Okay, rant over, I'm in control. Honest.

A quick inspection of the package requirements shows that I now have no choice but to do things the Microsoft, sorry, Fedora way. Just a gentle reminder of why I switched in the first place.

Are we, the users, being forced down a more complex development path just to suit a developer's whim? (and why does Gnome depend on Evolution? Sorry, another rant!)

My analyst keeps telling me that it's just normal paranoia and the actions of these individuals are not directed at me, personally. One day they will find the body, I'm sure.

If anyone from the KDE/Fedora development community reads this, please, please make it easier for me to use kontact under Gnome. I have 10,000 Aligned Planets to keep under my thumb and this kind of thing gets my thungus.

His Divine Shadow, ruler of the Dark Universe,
Love to all. xxx.

drinkingcoffee
27th February 2010, 04:01 PM
this problem has been driving me a bit nuts also since updating to kde 4.4
Reading through here: http://userbase.kde.org/Akonadi leads to this tidbit of information:

This happens after an update to SC 4.4 because there is a change to the database layout. The following commands should get it working again.

qdbus org.kde.NepomukServer /nepomukserver org.kde.NepomukServer.quit
rm -r ~/.kde/share/apps/nepomuk
nepomukserver

which seems to have fixed things for me.

steelaworkn
12th March 2010, 02:56 AM
Found the fix for this. I went into system settings/advanced/desktop search/

Configure it to turn on the service. Since I turned it on, it began indexing the files and I get zero error messages. Granted, it is still indexing, so I'll let you know in a few minutes what the outcome is.

Update:
In order for the Akonadi-Nepomuk thing to work, the destop indexing thing has to be turned on. After it finished indexing, the Nepomuk thing didn't crash any more.

rgaelzer
16th March 2010, 09:45 PM
Found the fix for this. I went into system settings/advanced/desktop search/

Configure it to turn on the service. Since I turned it on, it began indexing the files and I get zero error messages. Granted, it is still indexing, so I'll let you know in a few minutes what the outcome is.

Update:
In order for the Akonadi-Nepomuk thing to work, the destop indexing thing has to be turned on. After it finished indexing, the Nepomuk thing didn't crash any more.

Indeed it didn't crash anymore. However, it still takes a long time doing I don't know what (indexing?). I'm not convinced that I really need this functionality, since I see no advantage and it hinders kmail, because during the time it takes to do whatever it's doing, it almost freezes the mail client.

Is there a way I can fully disable this functionality, in such a way that I'm not plagued by constant error messages? Simply trying to remove Akonadi does not work, because yum threatens to remove all kde along with it...:mad:

steelaworkn
16th March 2010, 11:31 PM
I wonder if it is just tied into the Koffice Suite. If you got rid of that and used something different, it might work. Sometime Akonadi shuts down and I can't get my contacts list and I have to restart Kontact. Weird. Probably something to do with the program setup or something.

t0ken
16th March 2010, 11:56 PM
It seems as though KDE 4.4 is dependent on Akonadi and it's cousins now...not exactly sure why since these apps are not near mature enough to have a widespread need among users. Then again, I know nothing of the development of KDE and perhaps this will be a spine for all the things they want to eventually accomplish with their desktop. Of course I can't see the big picture because I just want my email and music (yes IIRC Amarok required Akonadi to be running) to work without having to enable all kind of unused background services.

In any case, I had made the move from 4.3.5->4.4 with Mandriva about a month prior to the Fedora push, so I knew exactly what needed to be done to get rid of the error messages.

steelaworkn
17th March 2010, 12:30 AM
It seems as though KDE 4.4 is dependent on Akonadi and it's cousins now...not exactly sure why since these apps are not near mature enough to have a widespread need among users. Then again, I know nothing of the development of KDE and perhaps this will be a spine for all the things they want to eventually accomplish with their desktop. Of course I can't see the big picture because I just want my email and music (yes IIRC Amarok required Akonadi to be running) to work without having to enable all kind of unused background services.

In any case, I had made the move from 4.3.5->4.4 with Mandriva about a month prior to the Fedora push, so I knew exactly what needed to be done to get rid of the error messages.

I'm thinking they want all the KDE things to be intertwined. I noticed Mysql is part of the brew also. Would a switch to Gnome solve the problems or does Gnome have it's own demons to contend with?