PDA

View Full Version : Virtual box Thank You

scottyl
14th February 2010, 03:57 AM
Thank's everyone for the sound advice to get farther away from Microsoft. I installed Virtual Box and in a very short time everything is working and is also so much easier to use. I have been struggling for weeks with Microsoft Virtual PC. I am now true to Linux.
Thank You again, Scotty

dsmyth
14th February 2010, 06:12 PM
nice one Scotty.

I'm trying to get another linux virtualisation tool, KVM, to run XP but it's slow (real slow). Thinking of giving up the ghost on KVM and going back to Virtual Box; it's a great piece of software. Nice and lightweight.

---------- Post added at 05:12 PM CST ---------- Previous post was at 02:33 PM CST ----------

hi again scotty, thought I'd share this with you.

I've managed to get a virtualised Windows running using a tool called qemu (which I think is KVM or at least has something to do with KVM). It's even more lightweight than VirtualBox. Whether you want to try it or not .... that is up to you.

1. install the tools
yum groupinstall Virtualization
yum install gemu-system-x86

2. Create a hard disk hda.img (6gigs)
qemu-img create hda.img 6G

3. Boot off a Windows Install CD (as iso)
qemu -m 1552 -cdrom winxp.iso -hda hda.img -boot d

Wait for ages.... as it installs

4. Run the box with 1552 mb of memory
qemu -m 1552 -hda hda.img

The last command you can set up as an alias

alias winxp='qemu -m 1552 -hda hda.img'

so all you need to do at command prompt is type 'winxp' and the machine loads.

Leomas
12th March 2010, 10:52 AM
Sorry to jump into the thread but I have been trying to use the qemu install bit you posted and it was working great for creating an XP VM right up until Windows reboots to do the configuration. It then just sits there saying rebooting computer and if I kill it (after over 40 minutes waiting) then restart with the

line it does relaunch but then is looking for the files on D:\i386 and I can't see where I am going wrong.

any ideas?

wolfen69
12th March 2010, 09:44 PM
I love virtualbox for trying new distros. If I like a new distro or release enough, then I'll install it on my test partition. Great tool.

dsmyth
13th March 2010, 10:20 PM
Sorry to jump into the thread but I have been trying to use the qemu install bit you posted and it was working great for creating an XP VM right up until Windows reboots to do the configuration. It then just sits there saying rebooting computer and if I kill it (after over 40 minutes waiting) then restart with the

line it does relaunch but then is looking for the files on D:\i386 and I can't see where I am going wrong.

any ideas?

Hi, after trying qemu for a bit I found it to be seriously lacking compared to VirtualBox.

VirtualBox is far better than qemu!! in hindsight I really shouldn't have posted the information about qemu. I found it very slow....

it might still be possible to use the img hard drive in Virtual Box. There is a VBoxManage command line to convert from raw a hard drive. I do not know it the img format is raw but you can use qemu to convert it to raw. If you do a search on 'coverting vmare hard drives to virtual box' you will find the instructions.

renkinjutsu
21st March 2010, 10:54 PM
I read up on KVM just now and it seems that your processor (if intel) must have the VT extension enabled to really take advantage of KVM, if not, then KVM is useless (VMS, if you're using an AMD processor)

I found KVM/qemu to be extremely slow too. I did a "cat /proc/cpu|grep flags" and found that my intel chip didn't have the VT flag =[ .. it's the only Core 2 Duo that doesn't! it's not fair!

also, for anyone who has the right hardware, and wants to take on qemu, there is a package you can install that gives qemu a gui interface. The package is called "virt-manager"
I'd like to know about the performance of KVM with the correct hardware

marko
23rd March 2010, 02:27 AM
(VMS, if you're using an AMD processor)

It's svm (secure virtual machine)