PDA

View Full Version : Windows Order - Missing Menu Item

twohot
14th February 2010, 04:05 AM
In F11, I could configure windows to gain focus when the mouse hovers over them ... it was possible to finetune the response in terms of seconds. I dont find the menu item for this function any more in F12 (System -> Preferences -> ???)

Which package added that functionality and is there a version for F12? I really miss it

---------- Post added at 04:05 AM CST ---------- Previous post was at 03:39 AM CST ----------

OOps! just noticed that the windows are already set to respond that way (by default) -- grrr! only that the title bars don't indicate a change in focus.

macemoneta
14th February 2010, 04:28 AM
System->Preferences->Windows

If you don't have that, install the package: control-center-extra

yum -y install control-center-extra

twohot
15th February 2010, 02:09 AM
Perfect!

Thanks macemoneta

twohot
24th November 2010, 10:07 AM
Looks like Fedora 14 has done away with 'control-center-extra' eventually, but compiz seems to be handling things well except for the following error when I go to System->Preferences->Windows:

Cannot start the preferences application for your window manager
Window manager "compiz" has not registered a configuration tool

macemoneta
24th November 2010, 10:42 AM
That doesn't apply to Compiz. For Compiz, run the 'CompizConfig Settings Manager' (ccsm) from Preferences or the Fusion icon and select 'General Options'. Click on the 'Focus & Raise Behaviour' tab at the top. You can set the same behavior by unchecking 'Click to Focus' and 'Raise on Click', then adjust the 'Auto-Raise Delay' slider.

twohot
24th November 2010, 11:30 AM
That doesn't apply to Compiz. For Compiz, run the 'CompizConfig Settings Manager' (ccsm) from Preferences or the Fusion icon and select 'General Options'. Click on the 'Focus & Raise Behaviour' tab at the top. You can set the same behavior by unchecking 'Click to Focus' and 'Raise on Click', then adjust the 'Auto-Raise Delay' slider.

Cool macemoneta :cool: So then the Window Manager is now redundant. Is that why I'm getting the error message?

macemoneta
24th November 2010, 06:39 PM
The preference tool is for metacity, the default window manager. The error is simply telling you that the tool doesn't apply to the current window manager. If it just let you set the options, and they had no effect, most users would be confused.

Compiz is a user installed window manager. You can uninstall the control-center-extra package if you are only using Compiz.

twohot
25th November 2010, 04:34 PM
Thanks! . That makes a lot of sense.