PDA

View Full Version : Is Fedora in trouble?

marko90
11th February 2010, 09:52 PM
I've been using Fedora sing F10. I've loved F10! But, I must commit, that F11 wasn't that cool. And, to my pity, I also must commit, that F12 isn't cool at all :/(.
Here are the few annoying I disliked in F12 the most.
1)no configuration tools; it's when you go to System/Administration; yes, that's easy to install them, but how would I know, for example, that the menu editing tool is named alacarte?
2)I cannot remove icons from Menu Bar; that used to work in F10 and F11, but in some reasons does not work in F12; the gconf2 tool removes the icons only from few menus, not from all and not from Menu Bar;
3)no gnome login sound? it's turned on, but it isn't played;
4)X11 freeze; don't know why, but X11 freezes when I log in; but only the first time I start the computer; after reboot everything works fine;
5)login screen; why doesn't the field to enter password appear? it appears only after the second login or after second password entry (if authentication failure);
6)I've installed OpenBox; there are two new options in session selector: gnome-openbox and openbox; but when I start gnome, gnome-openbox is started anyway;
7)I've got my USB stick mounted on desktop after it's been ejected and after few reboots; it's still there.
I also must say, that none of these 'bugs' used to be present nor it F10, nor in F11.
So, do you experience the same troubles? What do you think of this?

Does Fedora have some troubles?

BR.

Sagitter
11th February 2010, 10:16 PM
Nothing troubles, these are configuration problems.

Dies
11th February 2010, 10:50 PM
Nothing troubles, these are configuration problems.

Please. :rolleyes:

If you find that Fedora is working great for you, and getting better with every release, then consider yourself lucky. That's great, good for you. I kind of envy you.

But don't try to act like anyone who doesn't have the same experience is just some kind of n00b, like there can't possibly be anything wrong with Fedora.

marcrblevins
12th February 2010, 02:30 AM
Yeah, Fedora is always in trouble, hence, keep my fingers busy. I'm one of their guinea pig to make "Fedora/Red Hat a better product!".

Cheers

---------- Post added at 05:30 PM CST ---------- Previous post was at 05:29 PM CST ----------

If you want stability, can go to the long term versions, CentOS or Ubunti's LTS.

XAVeRY
12th February 2010, 02:47 AM
but how would I know, for example, that the menu editing tool is named alacarte?This. Why it got deleted from the core system in the first place is beyond me.

Kris Jacyna
12th February 2010, 03:29 AM
I have to say I haven't had these issues with F12, apart from not being able to find how to edit the menus after I installed it :-S

stevea
12th February 2010, 03:55 AM
Several of the OP complaints are config or some system specific problems.
Many are due to Gnome.

IMNSHO the Gnome designers are on crack. OK to be more generous their view of software is decidedly UN-Linux/UNIX-y. They believe in lots of safety rails, and putting "DANGEROUS" features out of reach of the fools=users=losers. Try KDE. Takes a little work to switch but it's worthwhile.

Demz
12th February 2010, 04:08 AM
Several of the OP complaints are config or some system specific problems.
Many are due to Gnome.

IMNSHO the Gnome designers are on crack. OK to be more generous their view of software is decidedly UN-Linux/UNIX-y. They believe in lots of safety rails, and putting "DANGEROUS" features out of reach of the fools=users=losers. Try KDE. Takes a little work to switch but it's worthwhile.

totally agree on Gnome, im not convinced Gnome3 will be a high flyer DE at first. they should make F13 aa LTS release so people can slowly adopt Gnome3

marko90
12th February 2010, 08:22 AM
totally agree on Gnome, im not convinced Gnome3 will be a high flyer DE at first. they should make F13 aa LTS release so people can slowly adopt Gnome3

I've recently switched to Enlightenment. As for me it's really cool and looking nice. And not changing that fast as GNOME.

BR.

Demz
12th February 2010, 08:51 AM
I've recently switched to Enlightenment. As for me it's really cool and looking nice. And not changing that fast as GNOME.

BR.

i dunno what prospects Enlightenment has but so far E17 development has been somewhat slow. i would give LXDE a go. Enlightenment might just be another compiz dead end kinda window manager

Sagitter
12th February 2010, 08:24 PM
Please. :rolleyes:

If you find that Fedora is working great for you, and getting better with every release, then consider yourself lucky. That's great, good for you. I kind of envy you.

But don't try to act like anyone who doesn't have the same experience is just some kind of n00b, like there can't possibly be anything wrong with Fedora.

:rolleyes:

n00b ???? :confused:

safulop
12th February 2010, 08:32 PM
I would say comparing version 12 to version 9 that it is win some, lose some.
My Fedora 9 could run my sound properly; not 12. My Fedora 12 can mount my NTFS Windows partition; not 9. My Fedora 12 can potentially run my USB scanner; not 9. So it is a little either way. I would say in general the need for manual configuration and bull****ting around is decreasing, but at the same time this is making the system seem more and more like Windows in many ways.
I remember the good old days of RedHat 5, which couldn't run at least half the hardware accessories out there, but which never needed to be "rebooted" to install stuff.
I knew the writing was on the wall when we had to start rebooting to get updates.

Dies
12th February 2010, 09:32 PM

:rolleyes:

n00b ???? :confused:

I'm not even sure what if anything you're trying to say :confused:

But yeah, the fact that as you can see I have quite a few posts in this forum should tell you that I know my way around Fedora, maybe not like some of these other guys but that's still more than most. ;)

The fact that you see me posting from an Ubuntu system and not a Fedora one should probably also tell you something...