PDA

View Full Version : Fedora 12 - x86_64 won't complete booting after "white" loading logo is apprx 98%

miicchhaaeell
10th February 2010, 07:41 PM
Hi all. I hope that someone could help me. I've had to restore my laptop (Acer Timeline 3810TZ) from backup several times already. It seems that at random this problem begins. After a restore the laptop boots fine. Runs fine. Then a couple of reboots/shutdowns later... it stops booting.

This is the error that I get if I remove "rhgb quiet" from GRUB:

ata.00: ACPI cmd ... rejected by device (Stat=0x51 Err=0x04)
ata2.00: ACPI device reported invalid CHS sector 0
/bin/sh: relocation error: /lib64/libnss_files.so.2: symbol fopen, version GLIBC_2.2.5 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference

If someone could help me or point me in the right direction I would be most grateful!

Thanks.

AdamW
10th February 2010, 08:22 PM
The most likely explanation is that either your disk or the drive controller is failing. The first two errors are hard disk errors (ata.00 indicates an ATA device, and CHS is 'cylinders / heads / sectors', the system used for tracking actual sector locations on the hard disk), and the third error is a completely random software error which would be almost impossible to cause either by a) bad work on our end or b) you manually screwing up something in your configuration; it's very likely the file was simply corrupted on the disk.

Interestingly, my partner has an Aspire One which displayed rather similar symptoms in Windows - after working fine for a while, it would fail on boot, claiming some Windows system file was missing. It'd work fine for a while again after restoring from the hidden backup partition. I wonder what's dodgy about these Asus systems...

Anyway, yes, this is almost certainly a hardware issue of some kind, so there's not a lot we can do about it. I'd recommend you try to get some service from Asus. They may kick up a fuss since you're not running Windows, so I'd either stick Windows on and verify that that fails in much the same way, or include a *very detailed* explanation when you ship them the system.

miicchhaaeell
10th February 2010, 09:06 PM
Thank you for your prompt response. I will keep tackling this issue and will post any new information I can gather.

Wish me luck. :)