PDA

View Full Version : Resize boot partition with LVM after

Bushstar
10th February 2010, 03:15 PM
I'm a bit stuck, I've been upgrading a Fedora server over the years. Once it was Fedora Core 2 now it is Fedora 10. Now I want to continue the upgrade process and upgrade the server to Fedora 11. The problem is that the boot partition is 100MB but Fedora 11 wants a 200MB boot partition. Looking at Fedora 13 it seems a boot partition of 500MB is gonna be the norm. I would just resize the boot partition but there is a LVM directly after it taking up the rest of the drive.

How do I resize my boot partition in this scenario?

My current line of thought is to use G4L to backup both partitions, then restore the boot partition to a large drive, increase the size with parted then restore the LVM backup after it.

So far G4L has been reluctant to backup the boot partition of Fedora on a test rig to an NTFS drive. Not sure if I should be backing up the image to a ext3 drive.

Any help or suggestions before I engage on an epic and perhaps fruitless quest would be appreciated.

giulix
10th February 2010, 03:35 PM
Are you sure that new sizing requirement is actually enforced? I've had a 100MB /boot partition for as long as I can remember...

Bushstar
10th February 2010, 03:42 PM
preupgrade-cli downloads temporary files to the /boot to the tune of around 120MB so I've read.

This is the error I get when running preupgrade-cli "Fedora 11 (Leonidas)"

/boot/upgrade/vmlinuz checksum OK
/boot/upgrade/initrd.img checksum OK
Error: Not enough space in /boot/upgrade to download install.img.

giulix
10th February 2010, 03:49 PM
I see... I never upgrade, I always reinstall. So that's why

[giulix@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.31.12-174.2.3.fc12.i686.PAE
[giulix@localhost ~]$ df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda7 9.8G 5.6G 3.8G 60% /
tmpfs 2.0G 260K 2.0G 1% /dev/shm
/dev/sda5 99M 22M 72M 24% /boot
/dev/sda9 26G 15G 11G 58% /home
/dev/sda8 9.7G 312M 8.9G 4% /usr/local

Dies
10th February 2010, 05:04 PM
preupgrade-cli downloads temporary files to the /boot to the tune of around 120MB so I've read.

This is the error I get when running preupgrade-cli "Fedora 11 (Leonidas)"

/boot/upgrade/vmlinuz checksum OK
/boot/upgrade/initrd.img checksum OK
Error: Not enough space in /boot/upgrade to download install.img.

If you've been upgrading this server since Fedora 2 why would you even care what "preupgrade" wants :confused:

If you can't afford to shuffle stuff around or start fresh which would be the best option, then just upgrade the way you always have and be done with it.

Bushstar
10th February 2010, 05:16 PM
I have always upgraded from one version to the next by switching repositories and using yum. It seems that from here on in the way to upgrade is using preupgrade. However I have just found these instructions here...

http://www.unixmen.com/linux-distributions/fedora/253-upgarde-to-fedora-11-from-fedora-10

Which shows the good old fashion way of upgrading I'm familiar with.

steelaworkn
10th February 2010, 05:25 PM
I partition 1000 megs of free space and then used 500 of that for the /boot partition. And I thought that was overkill.

scott32746
10th February 2010, 05:36 PM
One thing you could try is to remove any unused kernels

# rpm -qva |grep kernel
# rpm -e kernel.xxxx.xxxx.xxxx

Bushstar
10th February 2010, 05:39 PM
There are no unused kernels installed and that is not going to give preupgrade 120MB free space on a 100MB partition.