PDA

View Full Version : Black screen. Nothing happens.

schnucki
1st February 2010, 08:45 PM
Hi all,

I just rebooted from an yum update, which updated my kernel 2.6.31-something to kernel 2.6.32-whatever-is-up-to-date-in-testing.

My disk layout was LVM2+encrypted root.

When I rebooted it prompted me for the encryption password as always.
After I entered the correct password the loading screen (progress bar) finishes up as usual.

Then, the screen is black.

It just stays in console resolution, but its just black.
No typing, no chars, no X-mode, no errors, no VT-switches, nothing... just black.

Ok, what now? :confused:

EDIT: I remember to have started at 2.6.27-something and never had to kernel-update problems, so I dont know why it's annoying me now with todays update. I cant work with the machine any more. Any suggestions what to do?

---------- Post added at 11:45 AM CST ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 AM CST ----------

Hello? Nobody?

I have the 12-i686-Live iso ready, but what can I do after booting to fix the installed system?

Some ideas, please...

jbrown96
1st February 2010, 11:17 PM
Probably a graphics driver issue. What kind of graphics card do you have, and have you installed a binary driver (only for Nvidia and ATI)?

JONOR
1st February 2010, 11:49 PM
Also consider reverting to the older kernel via grub/text mode.

yum update kernel

Something i have never tried mind, it may not work regressively.

schnucki
2nd February 2010, 03:02 PM
Also consider reverting to the older kernel via grub/text mode.

yum update kernel

Something i have never tried mind, it may not work regressively.

Thanks, Jonor.

I booted up with the live ISO, then chrooted into my environment and adjusted the /boot/grub/grub.conf.

For some reason I dont remember the timeout was 0.
I reset it to 5, so I actually get the previous kernels displayed at boot.

Choosing the previous kernel (2.6.31-something) is the solution to my problem.

For some reason my box wont finish init with the new kernel and hangs with no chance of debugging, since no errors/information is provided.
I suspend its some kind of strange combination of drivers/modules at init/initrd phase which provoces the freeze.

If grub.conf's timeout wasnt 0 I would have found out by myself, sorry all for this annoying thread. But the fact that the bootmanager was never displayed made me forget about this probability.

Out of sight, out of mind, i guess.

Still thanks to all.

---------- Post added at 06:02 AM CST ---------- Previous post was at 04:19 AM CST ----------

Thread can be closed any time.

Redheart
12th February 2010, 02:30 PM
I've got a similar problem, and found that X windows is getting a segmentation (fatal) error. If you can go into terminal mode by Ctl-Alt-F2, then it might be a similar (or the same) problem.

If you can get into a terminal mode, try "X" and see what messages you get from the X-windows server.