PDA

View Full Version : WD external USB HDD

ebethron
23rd January 2010, 11:10 AM
Hey,
I have a 1T Western Digital My Book external USB Harddrive. When connecting it to my laptop it automounts right away.
I've checked the 'Browse media when inserted' box in the Nautilus preferences, but I takes a really long time to load the content in a Nautilus window.
Accessing it through the terminal is much more responsive.

Is there something I can configure to make it load faster in Nautilus?

I realise that it ain't that big of a problem, I mostly ask from a learning perspective. Wishing to explore the possibilities.

Thanks in advance!

slimerkh
23rd January 2010, 11:23 AM
Hi Ebethron

I guess there's probably two issues here. It sounds like the drive is quick to automount (display icon on deskop), so its just displaying the content that's slow.

Try the following:

1. In your Nautilus preferences, go the Preview tab and under 'Other previewable files', select Show Thumnails - Never. This will prevent each file having to be read to display a thumbnail.

2. Make sure your removable drive is plugged into a USB 2.0 port and is powered properly (some drives require two usb cables connected to the PC). It might impact on performance if you don't.

Hope this was of some help...

ebethron
24th January 2010, 05:50 PM
slimerkh: Thanks, for the reply.
Step 1 didn't improve the situation that much. The filesystem on the external disk is msdos. I guess that could explain it a bit, but then again the same disk loaded quite fast on Fedora 11.
As for the 2. step, I'm positive that it's connected to USB 2.0, and there is just one usb cable to connect.

Laserman
24th January 2010, 07:12 PM
I have a Seagate 320 gb usb drive with 150,000+ files.
It can take 20-30 seconds to become available when plugged in.
Just the nature of the interface.