PDA

View Full Version : Play Vob files

fairmonk
22nd January 2010, 10:43 AM
Hi,
I have a DVD movie on my HDD. It has VIDEO_TS folder which contains *.BUP, *.IFO, and *.VOB files.
I can play them with VLC player, but I can't select (like in WMP) from the menu: Scene selection/ Play/ Set up/ Special futures...
Is there any player that implements these features or does VLC have them somewhere hidden in it's menu ?

smr54
22nd January 2010, 11:26 AM
Try, from a terminal

cd <directory containing VIDEO_TS>

cvlc ./VIDEO_TS

You'll see a lot of things in the terminal which can safely be ignored. It should show a menu on the video's screen.

I'm sure there are better ways to do it, but that should work. (I'm no expert on VLC or mplayer, just use them to play videos from time to time.)

fairmonk
22nd January 2010, 12:23 PM
Try, from a terminal

cd <directory containing VIDEO_TS>

cvlc ./VIDEO_TS

You'll see a lot of things in the terminal which can safely be ignored. It should show a menu on the video's screen.

I'm sure there are better ways to do it, but that should work. (I'm no expert on VLC or mplayer, just use them to play videos from time to time.)

Yes, it does work this way. Many thanks.

simon2000
15th February 2011, 09:14 AM
hi smr54

How do I get cvlc or vlc installed

when I type:
which cvlc

I got "command not found"

Thanks

Adunaic
15th February 2011, 10:46 AM
You can use yum to find out what you need:

yum provides */cvlc

Which will tell you that cvlc is provided by VLC. So just do

yum install vlc

DBelton
15th February 2011, 03:33 PM
you can open the containing folder with vlc...

OR, you can open the VIDEO_TS.IFO file with vlc and get what you wish. (The IFO file is the one that contains all of the information on menus, chapters, etc... and locations of them back in the VOB files

and Simon2000.. vlc is in the rpmfusion repos, not the standard fedora repos. You can install all the audio/video codecs easily by using FedoraPlus (formerly Autoten) written by Dangermouse, which installs the rpmfusion repos. Then you can just do a "yum install vlc" and get vlc installed.

bonedome
15th February 2011, 10:08 PM
Hello

I can play them with VLC player, but I can't select (like in WMP) from the menu: Scene selection/ Play/ Set up/ Special futures...
Is there any player that implements these features or does VLC have them somewhere hidden in it's menu ? I always go for vlc when playing dvd's, the way I do it, which shows the "Scene selection/ Play/ Set up/ Special futures..." is open vlc click on media (top left) open disc > play, you can then use the mouse to highlight from the menu what you want :D

jpollard
15th February 2011, 10:35 PM
vlc fails on Fedora 13 64 bit. (invalid pointer passed to free()).

Looking at the dump it appears to have the high order address zeroed,
which is a symptom of a 64 bit value stored in a 32 bit integer...

bonedome
15th February 2011, 11:07 PM
not related to op but http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=254769&highlight=advantages+bit :D

jpollard
15th February 2011, 11:19 PM
Actually, this is the first such bug I've seen in over 2 years of 64 bit operation. And this IS an application bug, not unavailability or application
requiring 32 bit libraries... This is just an out-and-out bug.

Doesn't really matter - I can play video just fine - I happen to prefer xine,
though it doesn't play the video outside of directly from the DVD. I haven't
tried using an ISO (just never got around to trying).

I should also say, my system is an 8 core system with 8GB of memory.