PDA

View Full Version : Problem with encfs

JeeBee
22nd January 2010, 09:47 AM
Dear all,

I have a slight problem with encfs, where I am working with an encrypted $HOME/private and $HOME/.private subdirectory of my homedirectory.
The problem is that, if I mount my private directory after logging in my Gnome desktop I'm not able to start firefox, thunderbird, etc, etc. (Ok, at least these two programs :)
I ignorantly assume it has something to do with locks. The encfs command probably locks some directories or files and because of that programs like firefox crash? But don't take my word on that, I do not know how to figure out what exactly is going on.
I know that a solution is to: 1) mount encfs, 2) logout, 3) login. Then my private directory is still mounted and firefox etc. does not crash anymore. However, having to do that each time is of course quite annoying.
Does anybody know how to debug and/or fix this?

Kind regards,
Jeebee.

ps > I have a fully up-to-date Fedora 12 system.

unSpawn
31st January 2010, 01:48 PM
if I mount my private directory after logging in my Gnome desktop I'm not able to start firefox, thunderbird, etc, etc. (..) The encfs command probably locks some directories or files and because of that programs like firefox crash?
I don't run encfs on F12 but I've been using it long enough to know it doesn't "lock" files. To help troubleshoot this it could be good to know:
- what your exact encfs-mount command-line would be if you would execute it from the CLI,
- what the "private directory" contains that applies to any Mozilla products (probably includes TB and FF profile dirs, right?),
- what (error) output gets shown if you execute FF from a terminal window (need to crash it) and in Syslog / auditd.log (any "fusefs_t" or related errors?).

JeeBee
17th March 2010, 09:09 AM
Dear unSpawn,

Thank you for your answer. I'm still suffering from the same problem.
I tried to find more information, so I tried to run "strace firefox" from a terminal.
I discovered it simple worked. Then I simply tried "firefox" from a terminal, which also
works. So, the problem is only when clicking the firefox/thunderbird/eclipse icons from the
gnome panel (the small icons), which still does not load the application.
I see the firefox tab in the running applications panel for a while and then it suddenly
disappears. But like that I cannot give any terminal output right?

The exact command I'm using to mount is: encfs --idle=60 $HOME/.private $HOME/private
I can guarantee there's no files used by firefox or thunderbird in there (only source code in there).

Sorry, I was wrong about "not being able to start". The problem apparantly has something to do
with the gnome panel application launcher. But I would not know how to debug this.

Some versioning information:
Fedora release 12 (Constantine)
gnome-panel-2.28.0-16.fc12.i686
gnome-common-2.28.0-1.fc12.noarch
firefox-3.5.8-1.fc12.i686

unSpawn
17th March 2010, 11:34 PM
Thank you for your answer.
NP. That was nearly two months ago though...

So, the problem is only when clicking the firefox/thunderbird/eclipse icons from the gnome panel (the small icons), which still does not load the application.
Maybe create a new thread in the most relevant forum? Because as far as information provided reveals anything I can't make a security issue of this...

JeeBee
19th March 2010, 09:08 AM
Ok, I'll repost in the software forum, thanks.

leigh123linux
19th March 2010, 12:36 PM
Ok, I'll repost in the software forum, thanks.

I closed your double post.
Next time PM a CM or admin as double posting isn't permitted.