PDA

View Full Version : LVM Duplication

aldend123
21st January 2010, 09:40 PM
Hi all,

I'm looking for someone to point me in the right direction given my requirements, as I'm fairly unfamiliar with the topic. I have two identical drives; one live, one for back up. Immediately mirrored RAID comes to mind. However, I don't just want to protect myself from disk failure, but from my own stupidity as well. RM *.* :p

The drive has 200meg /boot, a 35gig /root, and the remainder of the drive is mounted under /home. I want to copy the structure and data of the /root and /home over to the backup drive. The first 200meg of the backup drive will be blank for bootloader installation should the live drive fail, but the live drive's bootloader will point to the backup drive as a secondary boot option.

A. am I crazy? is there a better way?
B. how would I go about accomplishing this?
C. My goals are to have regular back ups (weekly?), as streamlined as possible, and allow me to boot to the back up drive within as little time as possible should my current filesystem become corrupt, the install become corrupt. If the system fails in some way that I cannot load it up, I'd simply reboot and choosing the back up drive in the bootloader. Or should the drive fail, install the bootloader and boot.

fonya
21st January 2010, 11:34 PM
For the first think, I try with snapshot, and rsync /freez+updated copy/.