PDA

View Full Version : 32 bit Fedora 12 freezing

robert-e
18th January 2010, 10:18 PM
This is to provide info for anyone else experiencing a total freeze on Fedora 12. I am not looking to fix it, but will continue to watch for others findings.

2.6.31.9-174.fc12.i686.PAE
laptop Toshiba Sat. p100 with 1.5 gig ram...intel multithreading cpu
Ati video chipset, using kernel driver
OSSv4 audio drivers

Freezes occur when Firefox, or Isle-Riot-Solitare, or with nothing running (except Desktop). I have the Cntl-Alt-Bksp to restart X enabled.

When freeze occurs there is no mouse, any ongoing video stops, sound events stop, Cntl-Alt-Bksp does not kill and restart X. Cntrl-Alt-F(x) does not get a terminal. The only recourse is to hold the power-off button and then do a cold start. I don/t find any error message in logs.

This has occured about a dozen times in the last two weeks, at random times. I have occasionally looked at "top" and "htop", and do not see any high memory or cpu usages. Of course, when the freeze occurs, I cant do this. This problem does not occur when in Win XP, nor did it show up with other Fedora versions or other Linux version, such as Xubuntu, Mint 8, or Ubuntu.

For what it is worth to others looking for support for this sort of problem. For myself, I will just keep on with the updates. BTW, this computer is kept fully updated.

Regards,
Bob

Edit...forgot to say that using Gnome desktop.

axettone
18th January 2010, 10:56 PM
Are you using an atheros wireless network adapter?

robert-e
18th January 2010, 11:08 PM
There is an Atheros wireless card installed. I do not use it, and keep the hardware switch in the off position. I also uncheck the network manager "Wireless Networking" checkbox, although I see that the system "re-checks" it for me. When I go to Edit Connection and the Wireless tab, there are no entries there.

I connect to the internet via lan cable to a router (which has the wifi radio OFF), and then to the isp.
I would seem odd if this were the problem, since I have not had a problem since the Atheros drivers were moved into the kernel. Prior to that, I would compile and install the madwifi drivers.

Hope this clarifies things. I am interested what prompted your question: are the Atheros kernel drivers under suspicion?

Regards,
Bob

axettone
19th January 2010, 07:52 AM
I asked you because I also have an atheros wireless adapter, and sometimes my new laptop (I bought it 5 days ago) does strange things. It shows no network, it disconnects, and sometimes halts my system. It seems to be a common problem with atheros cards and 2.6.31 kernel. The best thing I can do until they fix the problem is to unload and reload the ath9k module when I see strange things happening.
Try to unload the module, maybe it works!

evinrude
10th February 2010, 08:36 PM
I have these symptoms as well . No wireless . Intel graphics . Box updated daily . Common Bug suggestions taken . It still freezes randomly .
This issue has been reported hundreds of times under different threads