PDA

View Full Version : gnome-gmail-notifier command at login for delayed launch

joutlan
17th January 2010, 11:27 PM
I need to add this to start up apps in gnome:

/usr/bin/gnome-gmail-nofifier

what is the proper syntax to mod the above for a delayed launch, say 30 seconds?

It has to launch AFTER network manager is online or it errors and doesn't recover by itself...

I'm getting the sleep command syntax wrong somehow.....help appreciated.

evilhita666
25th January 2010, 09:00 PM
I'm having the exact same problem and haven't been able to solve it, so I join ElPenguino in his search for help!

I tried

sleep 15s; gnome-gmail-notifier

to no avail.

Thanks in advance!

GoinEasy9
25th January 2010, 09:44 PM
I use mail-notification in Gnome and it doesn't require the wait. And if there is no network present it can be reset after a network is established. I tether my laptop to my Palm and have to do a reset after I log on. Just my 2 cents, I tried gnome-gmail-notifier and IMHO mail-notification works better.

evilhita666
26th January 2010, 01:54 AM
It didn't happen when I was using a wired connection, but now that I'm using wireless the situation explained in the original post happens... So I don't know if that has something to do...

GoinEasy9
26th January 2010, 03:21 AM
With a wired connection your network starts on boot up, with a wireless, or like mine, a broadband connection, starts when you initialize it (now I've got it on automatic), which happens after the mail notifier starts. I was saying that I can update/restart/reinitialize the mail-notification program after the network is setup and it doesn't hang. I don't know it it is possible to sequence the start of the mail notifier app so it starts after the network is initialized. For me, the broadband connection with Verizon doesn't always connect on the first try, so delaying it's start won't exactly help.

flowman
6th February 2010, 05:34 PM
I appended the following line to my .bash_profile:

nm-online -q && gnome-gmail-notifier &
Consult 'nm-online --help' for more options.

GoinEasy9
6th February 2010, 06:26 PM
@flowman -- nice.