LinuxR
16th January 2010, 04:41 AM
Hey, im rather new to linux. The goal is to do:

sudo apt-get install Virtualbox
sudo apt-get virtualbox
sudo aptitude install virtualbox

ive tried all those combinations and they all shoot back the same reply:

sudo: apt-get: command not found

Every forum ive read says that my Fedora installed wrong and that i am screwed. Can anybody help me with this please?

Also does anyone have a link to download a free windows xp iso for virtualbox to run off of?
Thank you,
Jason

leigh123linux
16th January 2010, 04:46 AM
Hey, im rather new to linux. The goal is to do:

sudo apt-get install Virtualbox
sudo apt-get virtualbox
sudo aptitude install virtualbox

ive tried all those combinations and they all shoot back the same reply:

sudo: apt-get: command not found

Every forum ive read says that my Fedora installed wrong and that i am screwed. Can anybody help me with this please?

Also does anyone have a link to download a free windows xp iso for virtualbox to run off of?
Thank you,
Jason

Anyone that posts a link will receive a warning as it isn't permitted by the forum rules.

GoinEasy9
16th January 2010, 04:47 AM
This is Fedora not Ubuntu or Debian. Fedora uses yum and/or rpm. You might want to look at the documentation here:
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/

LinuxR
16th January 2010, 04:58 AM
o sorry, missed that rule. Question still applies for the apt-get then. Any assistance would be great

leigh123linux
16th January 2010, 04:59 AM
o sorry, missed that rule. Question still applies for the apt-get then. Any assistance would be great

uname -r

marcrblevins
16th January 2010, 05:04 AM
Very funny.

I probably could, but I won't(bandwith wise). You still need your own product/key ID to install it.

You could download it from MSDN Subscriber Downloads.

smr54
16th January 2010, 05:16 AM
I'm not sure that anyone has clearly explained one part of this. You are almost certainly reading tutorials for Ubuntu. It's a very popular distribution.

Fedora, as has been explained, uses yum. However, if you're going to run VirtualBox, especially if you're inexperienced, your best bet is to go to the VirtualBox website and download the rpm for Fedora. The version that you could get with aptitude (or apt-get) in Ubuntu or with yum in Fedora, is, as far as I know, the opensource edition, which lacks a few features. such as USB support.

When you're reading tutorials, it's important to figure out if they're for the distribution that you're using. It isn't always clear--people get used to thinking in terms of their distribution, and forget that other systems don't necessarily have the same tools.

Lastly to add to the statements about XP--what you're asking is illegal, and not a good thing to ask on a public forum. Taking a stranger's word for it could also wind up giving you a version of XP that has viruses, trojans, and other good things.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say that a forum says your Fedora installed incorrectly. As you mention that you're inexperienced, if someone said that your Fedora installed incorrectly because you don't have apt-get, they're either ignorant of Fedora, or amusing themself, rather pettily, at your expense, and have probably created terrible karma for themselves. :)

LinuxR
16th January 2010, 05:23 AM
I guess i must have read the other forums wrong then. I did go to the virtualbox website and downloaded it from there. It works great. I guess ill have to rummage around and try to find my old windows xp disc. Do you know if you need the CD key for it still or if just the ISO will work? Thank you.

---------- Post added at 10:23 PM CST ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 PM CST ----------

alright, per previous post looks like i need the cd code. Thanks guys

joutlan
16th January 2010, 06:44 AM
I guess i must have read the other forums wrong then. I did go to the virtualbox website and downloaded it from there. It works great. I guess ill have to rummage around and try to find my old windows xp disc. Do you know if you need the CD key for it still or if just the ISO will work? Thank you.

---------- Post added at 10:23 PM CST ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 PM CST ----------

alright, per previous post looks like i need the cd code. Thanks guys

yeah, you need the key ....buy a used copy of ebay if you can't find your disc......

There is an "apt for rpm", but you're not at the place where we can discuss this yet....:rolleyes: