PDA

View Full Version : f12 mouse click problem

lambcutlet
9th January 2010, 10:41 PM
just performed a f12 preupgrade from f11.
on a dell latitude d600 laptop 1.7Ghz 2GB

since installing i have remembered why i had reinstalled f11, after having f12 installed last year.
mouse button control is annoying
clicking with the left button to select something doesn't always happen, so you bash the button several times before giving up or when selecting an icon to start firefox say, the mouse doesn't release the icon and you end up dragging it across the desktop then hitting ESC to release it.

i installed 'control-center-extra' as mentioned elsewhere for mouse focus but this is not solving my problem

Anyone had this issue on f12?
can someone help? please

Attached Xorg.0.log, Dmesg doesn't seem to have any funnies in it.

previous versions of fedora worked OK.

dd_wizard
9th January 2010, 11:14 PM
That's not normal behaviour. It reminds me of what happens when the system is cpu bound.

dd_wizard

lambcutlet
10th January 2010, 11:09 AM
how do i determine what is causing my issue?

i was thinking i could watch 'system monitor' or 'top'
could a nice level change improve things

i'm just not sure where to start

any help very much appreciated

dd_wizard
10th January 2010, 10:30 PM
System Monitor and/or top are both good starting points. If cpu usage is high, you can try to trouble shoot what's causing it. There could be some hardware issue, also. Oh, I've had the same behaviour when someone else is using a wireless mouse that happens to collide with mine frequency wise.

dd_wizard

lambcutlet
12th January 2010, 07:16 PM
been monitoring the cpu cycles using 'top' for a couple of days and at no point can i say the processor has been running at 100%, whilst i have had issues with the mouse.

i have a second laptop installed with mythdora 10.21 and using that as a frontend.

i have compared the mouse options in 'gnome-mouse-properties' and emulated the settings from that, which has helped slightly although it may only be masking the real issue.

the mouse seems to select an item but doesn't release, its as though the mouse press action is acted upon but the mouse release action is not.

using 'xev' the press and release action are logged and to me look ok.

could there be an issue with a link from the mouse to software?, i mention this because of the faffing about i had when trying to get remote control which worked in Mythdora.

what other areas can i look at to find the root of the problem?

lambcutlet
15th January 2010, 12:32 AM
thinking the problem was related to gnome. i downloaded LXDE-F12-livecd.
within seconds of running the desktop the 'Automatic Bug Reporting Tool' picked up a kernel crash

funny that gnome didn't pick it up

below is a portion of the report
what does any of it mean? i would like to understand

WARNING: at arch/x86/kernel/apic/apic.c:247 native_apic_write_dummy+0x32/0x3e() (Not tainted)
Hardware name: Latitude D600
Modules linked in:
Pid: 0, comm: swapper Not tainted 2.6.31.5-127.fc12.i686 #1
Call Trace:
[<c0436d93>] warn_slowpath_common+0x70/0x87
[<c0417426>] ? native_apic_write_dummy+0x32/0x3e
[<c0436dbc>] warn_slowpath_null+0x12/0x15
[<c0417426>] native_apic_write_dummy+0x32/0x3e
[<c040fd2c>] intel_init_thermal+0xc3/0x168
[<c040e8ce>] ? mce_init+0xa9/0xbd
[<c040f600>] mce_intel_feature_init+0x10/0x50
[<c040dcc9>] mce_cpu_features+0x1b/0x24
[<c0760681>] mcheck_init+0x249/0x28b
[<c075ea6e>] identify_cpu+0x37f/0x38e
[<c0990265>] identify_boot_cpu+0xd/0x23
[<c09903df>] check_bugs+0xb/0xdc
[<c0478a33>] ? delayacct_init+0x47/0x4c
[<c09898a3>] start_kernel+0x31c/0x330
[<c0989070>] i386_start_kernel+0x70/0x77
---[ end trace a7919e7f17c0a725 ]---

glennzo
15th January 2010, 12:51 AM
I've had some minor mouse issues through the last 2 or 3 releases of Fedora. Can't say if I see the same in other distros. Just haven't noticed. Anyhow, I seem to need to click hyperlinks more than once, most of the time. At times I can click a link and nothing will happen until I move the pointer away from the link text. Weird stuff, but as I said, a minor annoyance and nothing that I'm overly concerned with. The mouse is a wireless / USB Microsoft laptop mouse for what it's worth. That said, for your issue, is trying a different mouse, just to see what the results are, out of the question?

Tom Servo
21st January 2010, 04:28 AM
+1 to the mouse issue.
D600 with Fedora 12 as well. Same thing, the mouse will not "un-click" unless mouse is moved.

Also I have the same bug report (as lambcutlet above) on boot. After I log in and the laptop sits a few minutes the bug pops up.

I went from FC9 to 12 - there were no (known) issues with 9.

Any info on how to correct these two issues would be appreciated.
Also any additional info I can give let me know.

lambcutlet
21st January 2010, 07:57 PM
sorry Tom Servo,
never got to the bottom of the problem.
i have returned to f11 and all is well again.
Unless someone magical produces a fix. i am going to wait for f13 and fingers crossed it is just a blip in f12.

safulop
4th February 2010, 09:04 AM
I just put a new Fedora 12 on my Dell Latitude E6400, and yeah the pointer and button behavior is nuts. There's a bug in here somewhere that is related to Dell pointers. The touchpad is almost OK, but I'm filing a report and crossing fingers that it can be fixed at some point.

-Sean

teancum144
25th February 2010, 04:31 AM
I'm using Fedora 12 on a toshiba tecra m2 laptop. When I left click on the vertical scroll bar in Firefox or in the Gnome terminal emulator, it sticks to the scroll bar even when I release the left mouse button. Basically, it acts like I'm still holding the left mouse button down. The only way I can escape, is by right clicking the mouse button. This site

http://forums.opensuse.org/pre-release-beta/424021-eclipse-doesnt-accept-mouse-clicks-buttons-2.html

suggests the following fix:

export GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS=truebut this did not solve my problem.

Any ideas?

safulop
25th February 2010, 08:29 AM
After looking around a number of forums I found out that there is a piece of pointer/touchpad hardware commonly found in laptops by ALSA. Because of certain hardware code coming out of it, it is not too compatible with Fedora thus far. This is known about, and there are plans to have it fixed for kernel subversion 33. We are now working with subversion 31.

I have found that sticking to the touchpad and its buttons renders the behavior pretty OK. Start playing with the pointer and all hell breaks loose.

-Sean

skandaboy
25th February 2010, 11:33 AM
I'm using Fedora 12 on a toshiba tecra m2 laptop. When I left click on the vertical scroll bar in Firefox or in the Gnome terminal emulator, it sticks to the scroll bar even when I release the left mouse button. Basically, it acts like I'm still holding the left mouse button down. The only way I can escape, is by right clicking the mouse button. This site

http://forums.opensuse.org/pre-release-beta/424021-eclipse-doesnt-accept-mouse-clicks-buttons-2.html

suggests the following fix:

export GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS=truebut this did not solve my problem.

Any ideas?

I had the same pb with my Toshiba L300 laptop and the touchpad didn't work I had to press on the left mouse button to select somthing.

I fixed the pb in the Preferences menu/Mouse, in the tactile pad tab I choosed Activate the mouse click with the tactile pad. Now everything works fine

Maybe you can try.

teancum144
25th February 2010, 04:35 PM
I had the same pb with my Toshiba L300 laptop and the touchpad didn't work I had to press on the left mouse button to select somthing.

I fixed the pb in the Preferences menu/Mouse, in the tactile pad tab I choosed Activate the mouse click with the tactile pad. Now everything works fine

Maybe you can try.

I tried that and it didn't solve the problem in my case, but thanks for the suggestion.

Mike

---------- Post added at 07:35 AM CST ---------- Previous post was at 07:31 AM CST ----------

After looking around a number of forums I found out that there is a piece of pointer/touchpad hardware commonly found in laptops by ALSA. Because of certain hardware code coming out of it, it is not too compatible with Fedora thus far. This is known about, and there are plans to have it fixed for kernel subversion 33. We are now working with subversion 31.

I have found that sticking to the touchpad and its buttons renders the behavior pretty OK. Start playing with the pointer and all hell breaks loose.

-Sean

Interesting. I was using the pointer and then switched to using the touchpad, but still had the same problem. I then switched to a USB mouse and don't seem to be having any problems with the mouse.

So it looks like (for me) it is only when I use the touch pad or pointer, but the USB mouse is okay.

Thanks, I look forward to the fix with kernel subversion 33. Mike

marc carter
14th May 2010, 05:56 AM
I believe I have a similar issue as well.
Have been using F12 for the last few months when I started experiencing odd issues with my mouse. From my dell latitude e6500, I typically surf the web so I've only noticed while using firefox. While open, I lose the ability to click on system menus or change focus from firefox using either usb-wired mouse or touchpad. Everything works fine for the first 2-5 minutes but soon after I'm limited to keyboard input (tabbing through pages) only. Mouse will move across the screen but no other functionality. The only system icon I can click on is firefox. Applications|Places|System menus are unresponsive.

Tried clean install of ubuntu 10.04 just to compare...same problem.
Reformatted drives and did a fresh install of F12. Only updates thus far have been...
kernel to 2.6.32.11-99.fc12
kmod-wl

and I'm currently back to tabbing through web sites.

safulop
14th May 2010, 07:08 AM
OK well,

for my Dell E6400, the recent upgrade to kernel subversion 32 fixed the pointer problem, although there is lingering sluggish response from the touchpad or loss of sensitivity or something.

A complete breakdown of the mouse hardware to such a point as you describe is not something I have seen, I must admit. It seemed to me that the Fedora crew was starting to get these issues fixed with subversion 32. Not sure what to suggest at this point. Tried your hardware with Windows?

hmmsjan
14th May 2010, 07:19 AM
Hi,

Similar problem on HP 6730b/FC12.
MS-Mouse is not very responsive after login into KDE, and the mouse light is steadily flickering.
No indication of excessive CPU usage in "top".
Apart from IOMMU messages during boot, everything is OK.
Disconnect and reconnect of the mouse cable helps for the rest of the day.

Also sometimes problem without extra mouse. Mouse pointer moves shock-wise, no
reaction on left button. Killing Xorg and re-login helped.

Kind Regards,

naraesk
14th May 2010, 05:05 PM
I believe I have a similar issue as well.
Have been using F12 for the last few months when I started experiencing odd issues with my mouse. From my dell latitude e6500, I typically surf the web so I've only noticed while using firefox. While open, I lose the ability to click on system menus or change focus from firefox using either usb-wired mouse or touchpad. Everything works fine for the first 2-5 minutes but soon after I'm limited to keyboard input (tabbing through pages) only. Mouse will move across the screen but no other functionality. The only system icon I can click on is firefox. Applications|Places|System menus are unresponsive.

Tried clean install of ubuntu 10.04 just to compare...same problem.
Reformatted drives and did a fresh install of F12. Only updates thus far have been...
kernel to 2.6.32.11-99.fc12
kmod-wl

and I'm currently back to tabbing through web sites.

Exactly my problem, but with KDE 4.4.3.
Same kernel, but no kmod-wl.

After some time i only can click into one part of a single window (not always firefox) anything else is ignored. keyboard input sill works fine.

lambcutlet
28th May 2010, 08:39 PM
downloaded and tried F13, on my Dell Latitude D600.
Mouse problem sadly has not gone away.
mouse does not release from selected item.

downloaded a copy of opensuse 11.2, again same mouse issues.

currently typing this using a live version of puppylinux 5.01 it also has the mouse problem. kernel 2.6.33.2 (didn't note down the kernel of the other two)

Can anyone suggest a fix?
there seems to be quite a few laptop users suffering this problem
Admittedly in all cases the touchpad is better than the keyboard nipple

naraesk
4th July 2010, 12:20 PM
problem is still unsolved. :(