PDA

View Full Version : How may people you know uses linux?

imdeemvp
13th October 2004, 09:25 AM
I personally only know one guy that works at pc store....which i re-encontered this past weekend at a wedding i attended. There is college campus by my home which i have not attended yet. The rest of people I know is via the internet. :D

sayeeth
13th October 2004, 09:29 AM
I know only 2-3 people. The rest of them are online script-kiddies.

gablaxian
13th October 2004, 09:52 AM
Once I have convinced my housemate to move off Windoze, I will know 2. Almost pitiful...

budds
13th October 2004, 10:36 AM
all the people i know are migrating to Linux.

taylor65
13th October 2004, 12:49 PM
I work in IT, so I know a lot of people that use linux. Most of them use Windows also because of EQ, SWG, and (the apparently awe-inspiring) EQ2. I don't play any of those games though, burnout 3 is more to my liking.

ewdi
13th October 2004, 02:25 PM
in real life? only my wife i guess :p most of my online buddies use them :p

xsos
13th October 2004, 06:45 PM
me, my self only.
i a collage student in bina nusantara university, and my university full support by microsoft to teach us about programing language that run in ms machine :( , so my friend is not familiar with linux environment.

i'm like an alien using linux when my friend come to my home :D
but it's really great using linux :D

how about u guys?

desipher
13th October 2004, 06:57 PM
I have few friends that use bsd and linux that are not gamers.

Chas.H
13th October 2004, 07:00 PM
Two others apert from myself. I use FC2 at home. Used Knoppix to recover my data after my last XP crash created about a zillion bad blocks in the boot sector. I went to reinstall XP and it wouldn't because I didn't have a previous version of window$. What a crock!

Fascinating! Something that doesn't work costs mucho money while something that works well and does ten times more usefull stuff is free!

Resistance is indeed not futile!:rolleyes:

foolish
13th October 2004, 10:27 PM
I don't know a single linux user in real life really, those I do know I've met because of the use of linux.

But remember people, the important part isn't to make your friends switch. The important part is to encourage the use of open source and open standards, even if it's in windows. I've got most of my friends using openoffice, firefox and told them to never use word documents to distribute text. Small things, but it really does help if enough of the windows users out there make these minor adjustment.

Preaching about linux doesn't help, use linux, encourage open source and open standards.

DarkMasterMatt
13th October 2004, 11:38 PM
My IT teacher experiments with Linux occasionally. Prefers Macs though.

engwnbie
13th October 2004, 11:49 PM
I know of 5 people that use and like Linux, 2 of them are fanatical ok 3 including myself. Never did a survey though. I just thought of a few more.

Tashiro
14th October 2004, 12:09 AM
A girlfriend of mine is the only one I know who uses Linux in real life. She got me hooked
on Linux 6 months ago.

Tashiro

imdeemvp
14th October 2004, 01:47 AM
i am also teaching both of my kids to use linux... :D

jcstille
14th October 2004, 03:54 AM
I know a ton that can use it. NCSU is redhat sponsered university, but that actually use it everyday, probobaly 10. Then a bunch of online people.

Jman
15th October 2004, 12:57 AM
10 or more. Most of them I've met though the local user group.

Although I was suprised because the slacker in our high school programming class used Linux.

It isn't obvious what operating system someone is using unless the topic turns to technology (usually problems with technology).

Dog-One
15th October 2004, 03:32 AM
I tried to get my immediate family members to at least try it. After hours of hand holding they went back to Windows--said it was too crypto freako for them. The University I went to was primarily Sun and HP, they've since switched to Linux on PCs. They still have a few big Sun boxes, but I'd say they are 80% Linux now.

Dog-One
15th October 2004, 03:41 AM
It isn't obvious what operating system someone is using unless the topic turns to technology (usually problems with technology).Funny you should mention that. I was looking at the headers of some of my email and noticed that about 95% of them were composed with Microsoft Outlook or Outlook Express. Very few with Mozilla.

Shadow Skill
15th October 2004, 03:57 AM
What a shame. more people need to get into thunderbird maye then they can leverage M$ to release their http protocol so I can get my hotmail into it without jumping through hoops. I'm the only person I know of who uses Linux (excluding one or two professors.) I personally would just love to put fc3t2 on all of the computers in my house if only to make printer sharing easier, right now I have to boot into windows if my dad wants to use the printer. In all truth though I would not subject the other members of my family to "dephell" besides I don't want them coming to me every three seconds asking me to install something for them or fix something they broke etc. Luckily for me they really only browse the web and check email. Forcing the transition [for my own sanity.] might not be entirely impossible. I just hope that day will come soon.

jcstille
15th October 2004, 03:58 AM
Oh yeah, but the LUG is a good place to meet actual people who use it.

inha
15th October 2004, 08:24 AM
I think one guy I know from my uni uses linux and I "know" one guy from an another forum that uses fedora core 2. Oh and my girlfriend knows how to click on the firefox icon to read her emails. Does that count?

Shadow Skill
15th October 2004, 04:20 PM
Hey man if she can get that far with no problems its a start, just make an unbreakable Fedora setup for her and you're good. :D

Ug
15th October 2004, 04:50 PM
Its a bit of a Linux desert round here. I've yet to meet anyone on campus who runs it. But then I don't normally go geek hunting. ;)

AliOop
15th October 2004, 05:34 PM
Five people I know use LInux. But only one uses it as a desktop. If I include myself, that would make two people using it as an every day desktop. The other four I know use it for behind the scene uses; servers, firewalls, routers. They all fall back on Windows as their main OS. But encouragingly many ask me about Linux. Planting seeds as I go along? Hope so.