PDA

View Full Version : FC12 Never Wireless Never Authenticates (new to linux)

timZZ
22nd December 2009, 02:52 AM
Hi,

I have installed FC12.

My wireless never seems to authenticate.

While windows XP was on this machine I did not have any issues.

Can anyone give me a starting point?

stoat
22nd December 2009, 03:13 AM
While windows XP was on this machine I did not have any issues.Hello timZZ,

There's a reason for that. Nearly all of the computer hardware on Earth is conceived, designed, manufactured, and marketed for the Windows operating system. It's just the way it is. Those companies need to make money. That is where the money is. So their hardware working in Linux is just not always on their minds. But some companies do create Linux drivers and software for their hardware. And the situation is getting better all the time. Otherwise, somebody has to create or reverse-engineer Linux drivers that are not always perfect. But that's getting better all the time, too.

So one way or another, you very likely can make your wireless card work in Fedora. You probably need a driver for it. Fedora comes with drivers for many cards. Some of those cards "just work" in Fedora like they do in Windows. Some of those cards need you to install something such as firmware. Other cards require a Linux driver that has to be acquired somewhere else. And still other cards need special software to make their Windows drivers work in Linux. And finally, some wireless cards never seem to work in Linux.

Can anyone give me a starting point?It's identifying the chipset in your wireless card. That determines what you will do next. In a Fedora terminal...
lspci -nn
lsusbOne of those may give a chipset maker and number for your wireless card. Maybe not, but it's still the first step.

scottro
22nd December 2009, 04:19 AM
I would also recommend ensuring that it's not NetworkManager that is the problem. I have a page on testing it without NM.

http://home.roadrunner.com/¬computertaijutsu/wireless.html

First though, follow stoat's suggestion, and post the output of the commands given, so we have a better idea of the card, and if it should, in theory at least, work.