PDA

View Full Version : Had two partitions, now only one... (could I retrieve info?)

barcelona1
21st December 2009, 01:25 PM
Hello all. I'm new to fedora and thus the forum.

I was trying to install fedora on a clean partition but, because of my inexperience, I ended up with only one partition (when originally I had two, one for Windows Vista and a clean one).

My question is: Is it possible to retrieve the information from the other partition I had? I had many important documents and would like to know if it's possible to find them somewhere in the HD.

Any guidance or mockery would be appreciated.

marcrblevins
21st December 2009, 03:17 PM
Oh my gosh! Done any backup first?

When installing, I usually select to delete all Linux partittion. You probably selected ALL partitions.

kurzer
21st December 2009, 03:33 PM
I once had my partition table overwritten by accident.
First you should make a bitwise copy of what is on the hdd now. You could use a LiveCD to backup the data (via dd for example) to an external hdd.
After that I used TestDisk (http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk) which brought my original partition table back. Then I used fsck in order to get a clean filesystem. This way most of my data was recovered (some files were corrupted).
BUT: I don't know if this way works for you, I tried a bunch of other programs which couldn't recover the files I needed. And I don't know if this process works for your data on a ntfs partition (Win Vista)

barcelona1
21st December 2009, 07:11 PM
can you explain more thoroughly how I should make the bitwise copy? What type of LiveCD do I use?