PDA

View Full Version : Nice Linux FTP client with text editor

ewdi
12th October 2004, 05:30 PM
I was looking for an ftp client replacement, i used to use curteftp on windows with it's built in text editor (nice when i have to edit file on fly)

i found one similar to it called iglooftp. it runs on linux.
http://www.iglooftp.com/linux/index.html

Also allowing you to edit text on fly with built in ftp editor

Too bad it's commercial :p

Emily
12th October 2004, 06:35 PM
try gftp, wouldn't that work ? you should already have it installed, most likely

sej7278
12th October 2004, 10:22 PM
gftp is very much like CuteFTP Pro, but I've never heard of using a text editor within it - can't you use SSH for that (or just download onto your machine, edit, then upload)?

ewdi
12th October 2004, 10:24 PM
i used gftp often but i like the tools like built in text editor that left me edit on fly :p i do a lot of web applications. dont like the idea of launching external editor

kosmosik
12th October 2004, 10:28 PM
midnight commander with its VFS can do this. and you can use any editor.

sej7278
13th October 2004, 12:21 AM
i used gftp often but i like the tools like built in text editor that left me edit on fly :p i do a lot of web applications. dont like the idea of launching external editor

hehe, weird, coz i can't stand the idea of editting files over ftp, which i assume is just downloading the file to a local temp file anyway, letting you edit it, then re-uploading it.

i'd much rather do it on the box using ssh or better still, locally, then you have a local backup.

ewdi
13th October 2004, 12:25 AM
i used to do that, but working on live server like that on heavy load site kind a sux :(
especially during peak load (Server hit 2.xx to 3.xx load under top)

jellywerker
16th October 2004, 11:50 PM
Stick with iglooftp, they now have a free version with all the important features

foolish
17th October 2004, 12:53 PM
For sites I visit a lot, beeing sftp, ftp, nfs, smb or more, I use nautilus. To connect to some ftp server once, I use a the command line ftp client lftp.