PDA

View Full Version : fedora 8, 10, 11

paxter
18th December 2009, 05:55 AM
hi,

i am completely new to the fedora community, i have no idea what i am doing.
with that said i burned fedora 8, 10, and 11 checked the sha1 verified everything was fine
i had originally installed fedora 8 on an old pc i had from windows XP without any problems
messed with it some, upgraded to 10 again no problems. tired to update 11 got a message about ext3 not found ext4 not found, re installed 10 the loader loads up now i have a blank screen with a cursor it the left hand corner

again i had 10 installed fine prior to all this can any one point me in the right direction to solve this issue or am i way over my head trying to figure this stuff out. i have spent 3 days searching these forums.

i'm just not quite sure what i need to do. oh, i tried to install 8 again and it wouldn't take either. i think the 10 problem has something to do with the graphic driver it's a geforce 7400 nvidia and something to do with the grub, but like i said i get a blinking cursor and not quite sure how to access the grub or command line.
i hope i am descriptive enough so someone can point me in right direction
i just want my fedora back.

thanks

CSchwangler
18th December 2009, 08:33 AM
What exactly was the problem with F11? In order to install F11 you need a /boot partition of size 300MB, which has to be ext3. If you install from a liveCD, the / partiton must be ext4 (since the liveCD is ext4 and the content is just moved from CD to your disc).
These restrictions are lifted with F12, where you don't need a /boot partition and everything can be ext4.
Unfortunately, F10 is out of support now (as usual for Fedora), so I would strongly suggest to either use F11 or F12.

paxter
18th December 2009, 08:46 AM
so if i download 12 i shouldn't have any problems, with an older machine? i know the machine i have is only 32. i have yet to try 12. i thought that my computer wouldn't respond to it well
please correct me if that is not the case. i prefer an up to date os

thank you

CSchwangler
18th December 2009, 10:14 AM
How old is your machine? I am running F12 successfully on a 5 year old Dell Latitude D400 and it is quite snappy. I am running Gnome, since I found KDE to be a little heavier. I suggest you first try the liveCD, since this will give you a rough impression on how it runs on your machine. Just keep in mind that a liveCD is almost always slower than if the system is installed on disc.
There are some possibilities to tweak F12 to be even more responsive once it is installed. Examples are:
- System -> Preferences -> Startup Applications (deactivate what you don't need)
. Services/Daemons (a good guide is here: http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-services-f12.html)