PDA

View Full Version : Add a Shortcut to the Applications Menu

franz.stumpner
12th October 2004, 08:56 AM
Hello,
I'm very new to linux and also very new to fedora. but i like it because fedora recognized my ati graphic card from the first second on :)

but now i have problems adding shortcuts to the applications menu:
i want to add shortcuts for new installed software in the fedorra-start-menu (in kde, when you click on the red-hat on the left bottom of the screen).
how can i do that?
i have tried with drag and drop, or searching in the preferences to configure the menu, also tried by right-clicking on the red hat symbol, if there is any context menu where i can add shortcuts to the menu (for example in the section internet or so on...)
i also have done this under the root account.

any help is welcome if anybody knows how i can customize the menu,
please excuse that my question is like for newbees.
thanx franz

sayeeth
12th October 2004, 09:12 AM
In your Preferences menu, is there any option called "Menu Editor"? Also when you right-click the Redhat icon, is there an entry "Menu Editor"?

franz.stumpner
12th October 2004, 09:34 AM
No, by right clicking on the red-hat icon there isn't an entry "menu-editor", like i know it from mandrake i've tested before.
in the preferences menu there is an option called menu editor, but with this i only can edit the appearance of the menu-bar in the applications.

sayeeth
12th October 2004, 09:49 AM
I am not sure what you mean by "edit the appearance of the menu-bar in the applications." When I click on Menu Editor, it allows me to add and remove shortcut entries from all categories. When you click on Menu Editor, it actually opens "Edit K Menu - KDE Menu Editor" right? The only shortcut that I understand you are referring to, is entries on the categories. Is that what you are referring to?

franz.stumpner
12th October 2004, 10:10 AM
Will check this with the Menu Editor in about 8 hours, i'm now at work and have my fedora installation at home.
thank you for your help...

sorry "edit the appearance" was the wrong word, i would say "the look and feel" of the menues in the applications.

but i will check the menu editor again, maybe i have not seen the settings for "Edit K Menu".

sayeeth
12th October 2004, 10:20 AM
Ok sure, while you are at it, right click on any open space in your kicker, it should show a menu entry called "Configure Panel". Click on it, it will open a window called "Configure". The third tab will be stated "Menus", click on it. On the upper left hand on the window there will be a button called "Edit K Menu". That is also another way to add/remove shortcuts to your Redhat menu. Let me know when you try these at home. All the best! :)

Paul_Vandenberg
12th October 2004, 10:35 AM
I have found that by default, I could only change existing menu items in KDE in Fedora Core 2. I had to copy the contents of /etc/xdg/menus to /home/userid/.config/menus. When I did that, I was able to add or delete menu items.

Paul

franz.stumpner
12th October 2004, 09:47 PM
Thank you,
but i can only change the menu in KDE (but the changes also apears in GNOME)

hmmm
its all what i want...