PDA

View Full Version : kpackagekit "waiting for other tasks"

infestor
16th December 2009, 06:05 PM
i am a new fedora 12 user (kde spin, 64bit)
but received not-so-nice welcome from kpackagekit. i cannot install anything it always complains that "waiting for other tasks". how do i solve this?
yum also does not work telling that
Loaded plugins: presto, refresh-packagekit
Existing lock /var/run/yum.pid: another copy is running as pid 1880.
Another app is currently holding the yum lock; waiting for it to exit...
The other application is: PackageKit
Memory : 64 M RSS (376 MB VSZ)
Started: Wed Dec 16 17:45:24 2009 - 21:37 ago
State : Sleeping, pid: 1880
Started: Wed Dec 16 17:45:24 2009 - 21:39 ago
Started: Wed Dec 16 17:45:24 2009 - 21:41 ago

also does synaptic work instead of kpackagekit? or better alternative to kpackagekit?

CSchwangler
17th December 2009, 04:55 PM
It seems as if you have kpackagekit and packagekit running both at the same time. You should attempt to run only one package manager at one time. I don't know KDE, so I cannot advise if that is a bug or a feature, but I would say that you should disable one of the package managers. They are probably automatically started by KDE, so you should remove one of them, probably packagekit, since kpackagekit is for KDE.

jbkt23
17th December 2009, 05:53 PM
If this is right after your first install then the update daemon is running and grabbing the 1 gig of updates since the release issue. So, to get around this logout and back in again, then open the add or remove software tool or open a terminal and as su -
# yum install <the package you want>.

The daemon does not start immediately after login so you should have a few seconds to be first.

infestor
17th December 2009, 08:50 PM
i used
yum update command to make the 1st gigantic update...but then the problem still persisted (i did remove packagekit),i mean kpackage kit kept crashing and opening very slow...also i had issues with the sound...so i left using fedore kde spin :(