PDA

View Full Version : Website layout issue compared to Windows

Dead1nside
13th December 2009, 09:29 AM
Hello, I was just using Windows on my same laptop and it appears that under Fedora some websites' layouts are being incorrectly rendered.

For example on a horizontal line of menu items, the last entry is often put on the next line, an example can be seen at this link (http://www.jonathanpritchard.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/Website_Layout-Bug.png). About Us should be on the same line as Links and all the rest of the menu items.

Whereas on Windows it will render fine. I'm not sure whether this is a font issue, a dpi issue or a genuine difference in rendering between Firefox on Windows and Linux. It's starting to bug me slightly. To my knowledge the dpi settings are the same on both Windows and Linux and I use the Liberation Fonts in lieu of the defaults on Linux where possible.

I would appreciate any help. Thank you in advance.

pete_1967
13th December 2009, 11:56 AM
The fonts you're using in you Linux box are just that little bit wider than ones on your Windows box (you can see yourself by zooming out the text only) causing the last menu to be pushed onto next line. Nothing wrong in your system, or different from Firefox on Windows (unless you got different version to Linux one installed that is).

Dead1nside
13th December 2009, 06:27 PM
The fonts you're using in you Linux box are just that little bit wider than ones on your Windows box (you can see yourself by zooming out the text only) causing the last menu to be pushed onto next line. Nothing wrong in your system, or different from Firefox on Windows (unless you got different version to Linux one installed that is).

I indeed see what you mean when zooming the text out. However I thought the Liberation fonts were meant to be direct metric equivalents to the Windows fonts, hence why they were developed.

Is there any other way around this layout problem due to the fonts whilst keeping the Liberation ones? Zooming out the text one notch permanently?

Thanks for your help.

Edit: I've experimented with changing the default font size down from 16 (its default on my system) and this does effect certain web pages' layouts in a good way but not on the example I gave you. This remains a slight mystery to me.

Dead1nside
14th December 2009, 01:24 PM
I've changed the fonts in Firefox on Linux to the Windows font family (Times New Roman, Arial and Courier New) and made sure that they're the same size and settings as on my Windows install but still the layout of pages is broken, I think this shows that it's not to do with the choice of font.

It really does appear that setting zoom to text only and going out one notch fixes most pages it certainly does on (http://www.amp3.co.uk, http://www.openpandora.org and http://www.wolves.co.uk/page/Home/).

So should I file this as a bug?

pete_1967
15th December 2009, 12:47 AM
So should I file this as a bug?
Bug of what?

Sites' designers for being ignorant and developers for crappy coding maybe, there's no other bug.

Most sites define Verdana, Helvetica, sans serif as font set in their CSS, you can install Microsoft Corefonts and set Firefox to use Verdana as default font, that should sort most of these issues (there still may be some differences due anti-aliasing settings etc, but not many). You can do forum search for corefonts to find out how to install them.

Dead1nside
15th December 2009, 02:32 AM
Bug of what?

Sites' designers for being ignorant and developers for crappy coding maybe, there's no other bug.

Most sites define Verdana, Helvetica, sans serif as font set in their CSS, you can install Microsoft Corefonts and set Firefox to use Verdana as default font, that should sort most of these issues (there still may be some differences due anti-aliasing settings etc, but not many). You can do forum search for corefonts to find out how to install them.

Thank you for your reply.

The thing is I've already installed the corefonts package and I leave the box checked for a website to be able to override my preferences of the Liberation Fonts -- this from what I can see should solve most issues but it does not.

I meant a bug in Firefox, as it might perhaps be doing something wrong given that it appears that it's always one text zoom level out.

Dead1nside
27th December 2009, 09:16 PM
This appears to be due to my Font Smoothing settings which were set at Full, now set at Slight webpages do not appear to have their layout broken.