PDA

View Full Version : Snail's Pace Would Be A Welcome Relief Rant

wa7qzr
13th December 2009, 09:18 AM
Okay, I'm trying to install Fedora 12 on an IBM L440GX+ server board. I've two IDE drives, one 1/4tb the other 1/2tb. on the primary port, and two DVD-RW drives on the secondary port. The system has 1gb of RAM. I'm using the embedded SCSI controller for an Exabyte 8900 tape drive. I'm using an Nvidia MX400 w/64mb RAM onboard because the built-in video has even less Fedora support than this one does.

Default install method is plagued with: "<6> [drm] nouveau ... PGRAPH_ERROR ... INVALID_STATE" scrolling off the F4 screen and charecters output on the F5 screen at a rate of about 1 every three seconds. The graphical screen only looks like it's busy doing something, when it's actually napping. I guess that "nouveau" thing is some bastard video driver that only works on the latest & greatest hardware, eh? Must be, since all the rabbit trails seem to go back to that.

Installing from a DVD, using the "basic" option, (because the default is slower than even this and text mode leaves me with not much more than an over-grown caculator, and not much more), goes okay until mke2fs starts initializing the vg's. Then, the installation screen just sits stupidly, the little "activity" bar going back and forth, for literally hours. Checking the virtual screens, F5 in particular, shows one character appearing on the display every 3-seconds. If you're not watching it closely, it looks like it's hung. Now, this server board has two 850mhz processors on it, and it installed and ran Fedora 7, 9, and 10 just fine.

I tried installing some of the "Live Desktops" and found that only the LXDE Desktop would actually go all the way.

Here's the rub: this bloody thing fell onto my Compaq Presario V2000 laptop without any sweat whatsoever. Even that stupid PCMCIA network card came to life without me having to do anything to it at all.

I know there's no fix for this (other than to pretend I'm a Billware user and go out and by new hardware). Red Hat would install on nearly anything (within reason). Since Fedora spun-off, it's been like this, every stinking time I decide to upgrade. How about returning to vanilla installation software and save the fancy high-rez graphics and all the fun stuff for users to install after the basic system is running.

Hlingler
13th December 2009, 09:35 AM
If there's a technical question in there, I missed it. Moving to "Reviews, Rants, and Things That Make You Scream".

Please note that FedoraForum.org is privately owned and operated, and is not directly sponsored by the Fedora Project or Red Hat, Inc. While we are the "semi-official" forum for Fedora, but are mostly "users helping other user": the Developers and Fedora Project personnel do not (generally) monitor this forum. Consider using the "Fedora Project Jump" feature at upper right of every page to go tell them your thoughts ("Communicate") - where perhaps then they'll read and heed them.

V

wa7qzr
13th December 2009, 07:29 PM
Well, the developers haven't been interested in anything that I've had to say since Red Hat 5.1, and besides, they don't have a category that I fit into on their project site (no "We've Made a Colossal Mistake and Released Something Too Soon and Have Been Found Out" category). That's why I posted here. Nevertheless, I won't bother you folks here with my tirades of warning, doom and gloom. I'll do what I've done in the past. Stay with what works until someone fixes what I'd like to use.

marko
14th December 2009, 12:16 AM
Can't you pass the installer the 'vesa' option at install time?
Since it looks like you just want a server, you probably don't care about using the old style vesa
driver? Another option would be to use the old 'nv' driver, again since you probably just want
plain old 2d support nv would do just like vesa