PDA

View Full Version : Getting Arial font installed for Open Office

techxi
11th December 2009, 02:16 AM
I've been spending the hours beating my face against the wall and going near insane trying to get arial fonts installed on fedora, so that they can be used in open office.

How might these be installed ?

yum -y install msttcore*
Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit
Setting up Install Process
No package msttcore* available.

digimaus
11th December 2009, 03:12 AM
A quick google search for "msttcorefonts rpm" lead me to:

http://corefonts.sourceforge.net/

The site explains easily how to install these fonts (in fact, just installed them in my new F12 system).

Google is your friend in trying times-it's saved my bacon more than once with Linux! :)

You should have luck with this. It's a little involved but not hard. Let me know if this works for you. I followed the instructions to the letter (no pun intended) and it works well.

---------- Post added at 09:12 PM CST ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 PM CST ----------

I found a much simpler explaination:

http://www.go2linux.org/msttcorefonts-true-type-fonts-on-linux

That's easier than that last page.

ozjd
11th December 2009, 03:24 AM
For another source of info on this and many other Fedora questions have a look at the Installation guide in my signature.

digimaus
11th December 2009, 03:31 AM
Thanks for the links-I've installed your updated version of those fonts. Appreciate it and I've bookmarked your site.

stoat
11th December 2009, 03:34 AM
Hello techxi,

You can also create the hidden directory ~/.fonts in your home directory and copy the ttf font files from your Windows system. They will show up in OpenOffice's list of fonts. Arial, of course, is one of them.

digimaus
11th December 2009, 03:38 AM
You can also create the hidden directory ~/.fonts in your home directory and copy the ttf font files from your Windows system. They will show up in OpenOffice's list of fonts. Arial, of course, is one of them.

That's a good trick-I'll have to remember that. Thanks!