PDA

View Full Version : Need some networking help (fedora 12)

nonversation
11th December 2009, 12:23 AM
So fedora 12 x64 is installed, I have several windows 7 comptuers that have files shared. When I click on the "windows network" icon I get the error message "failed to retrieve network list

I have turned on "share files on a public network" under the admin, but still my fedora 12 doesn't show up on my windows network

So I installed samaba and the samba config tool, when I run it, I get an error

system-config-samba
ERROR:dbus.proxies:Introspect error on :1.75:/org/fedoraproject/Config/Samba/Backend: dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/system-config-samba", line 53, in <module>
mainWindow.MainWindow (debug_flag = debug_flag, use_dbus = use_dbus)
File "/usr/share/system-config-samba/mainWindow.py", line 97, in __init__
self.samba_data = sambaConfig.SambaConfig (self.samba_backend)
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/scsamba/core/sambaConfig.py", line 29, in __init__
self.parseFile ()
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/scsamba/core/sambaConfig.py", line 32, in parseFile
return self.parse (self.backend.readSmbConf ())
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/scsamba/dbus/proxy/sambaBackend.py", line 48, in readSmbConf
return self.dbus_interface.readSmbConf ()
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/dbus/proxies.py", line 68, in __call__
return self._proxy_method(*args, **keywords)
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/dbus/proxies.py", line 140, in __call__
**keywords)
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/dbus/connection.py", line 630, in call_blocking
message, timeout)
dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

At this point, I don't know what I need to do to share files between the 2

FSLLL
11th December 2009, 03:38 PM
Try turning off the firewall and disabling SELinux. And see if that works. If it does then turn them back on one at a time and see which one is causing the block.

Hlingler
11th December 2009, 10:54 PM
Possibly the same SELinux Policy bug that freezes system-config-firewall ?
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/F12/FEDORA-2009-12990?_csrf_token=3f6d737a5b04c8c1aa9834eb8d7b72f3 6b077b5d

Try updating it:
su
yum --enablerepo=updates-testing update selinux-policy

V

~frank
11th December 2009, 11:55 PM
- Use testparm to make sure there is no problem in /etc/samba.smb.conf

- Make sure nmbd is running or nothing will "see" the box.
(This was a problem for me because in older fedora/samba releases, smbd would start nmbd. Since I upgraded though, it no longer started automatically yet I had always assumed it was running.)

service nmb status