PDA

View Full Version : F12 pulseaudio pops on and off

mayostard
9th December 2009, 06:13 PM
I am running F12 on a lenovo X61.

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)

If my machine is quiet for a while, then suddenly needs to make a noise (eg some sort of notification event), the audio "pops" when the first sound is made.

It sounds like the noise you hear in the speakers when the audio cable is connected to a live jack while the speakers are on. A static POP.

Once that initial pop is over, the audio sounds exactly like I expect it to.

Then, if there is no sound for a period of about 10 seconds, I can hear the audio pop again. If I then play a sound, I will hear the initial static pop again.

It's as if pulseaudio is powering up my audio system when it needs it, then powers it down when it doesn't need it any more.

And, in fact, I found that something is going in in the kernel. If I look at lsmod, I can see things changing.

I did an lsmod with the sound "on", then waited for it to pop off, then did it again and noticed these diffs:

< snd_hda_intel 25080 3
---
> snd_hda_intel 25080 2
34c34
< snd_pcm 64772 3 snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec
---
> snd_pcm 64772 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec
40c40
< snd 50908 13 snd_hda_codec_analog,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,s nd_hwdep,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm,snd_timer
---
> snd 50908 12 snd_hda_codec_analog,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,s nd_hwdep,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm,snd_timer

Now I also have F12 running on a desktop machine that uses an nVidia chipset. I have no audio pops on that system. I noticed that there are similar changes in lsmod on that system, though.

Gödel
9th December 2009, 07:34 PM
might be power management see http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=234313

mayostard
9th December 2009, 08:02 PM
Yeah, that's it, thanks.