PDA

View Full Version : Why I can not adjust CPU frequency?

BrillianceLin
9th December 2009, 02:08 PM
I just update the system, and the cpu frequency applet stop working. I can no longer lock the cpu frequency. Once I click the cpu applet icon, The whole applet just freeze right there. Does not matter if what I do with it.
Well, at least I hope some one just offer me a bit help on how to lock the cpu frequency in terminal. Other wise I can not run Folding@home due to cooling issue.

Thanks

---------- Post added at 05:08 AM CST ---------- Previous post was Yesterday at 11:58 PM CST ----------

Well, it seems like the program take of authentication is mess up. I have the same problem when I tried to config my firewall. In the Firewall case, once I type in my password, the whole window just went blank. For the cpu applet case, nothing happen, the window ask for password does not show up. nothing. The system log did not have any entry...neither does the crash log. Which there are lot of entry there since I install F12

smurffit
10th December 2009, 05:01 PM
Same here.

Few days ago i was able to change cpu-frequency with the gnome-applet. Now it freezes for few seconds if i left click and then it does nothing. Modules are loaded and suid ist set.

David Batson
10th December 2009, 05:18 PM
I saw a similar report on the Mandriva Forums with the latest version of Mandriva KDE 2010. Maybe some of the info applies here?

http://forum.mandriva.com/viewtopic.php?t=119419&start=0

smurffit
10th December 2009, 05:31 PM
Thank you for the hint.

I've read it and noticed, that the users on this bug can't switch their cpu-freq.
Actually, i CAN switch the cpu-freq in the terminal but not with the gnome-applet. The applet shows me the correct speed (which changes sometimes) but i can't change it with a click. :(

BrillianceLin
10th December 2009, 11:04 PM
I saw a similar report on the Mandriva Forums with the latest version of Mandriva KDE 2010. Maybe some of the info applies here?

http://forum.mandriva.com/viewtopic.php?t=119419&start=0

Thanks, it might be the same problem... glad I am not the only one in the world run into this problem:D

---------- Post added at 02:04 PM CST ---------- Previous post was at 08:55 AM CST ----------

Thank you for the hint.

I've read it and noticed, that the users on this bug can't switch their cpu-freq.
Actually, i CAN switch the cpu-freq in the terminal but not with the gnome-applet. The applet shows me the correct speed (which changes sometimes) but i can't change it with a click. :(

Do you mind tell me how do you lock frequency in terminal?
:confused:

smurffit
10th December 2009, 11:12 PM
oc.

sudo cpufreq-set -g ondemand
sudo cpufreq-set -g performance
sudo cpufreq-set -g powersave
sudo cpufreq-set -g userspace

one of them will do. :)

you can see the installed/loaded governors with

sudo cpufreq-info

and load with:
sudo modprobe cpufreq_ondemand/powersave/...

BrillianceLin
11th December 2009, 03:06 AM
oc.

sudo cpufreq-set -g ondemand
sudo cpufreq-set -g performance
sudo cpufreq-set -g powersave
sudo cpufreq-set -g userspace

one of them will do. :)

you can see the installed/loaded governors with

sudo cpufreq-info

and load with:
sudo modprobe cpufreq_ondemand/powersave/...

thanks, I somehow manage to get both core on powersave mode...