PDA

View Full Version : Samba and F12

troyatlarge
8th December 2009, 08:33 PM
I have some questions about samba and Fedora 12. I am reading "Samba-3 by Example" (Terpstra 2009) and want to be clear on internal Fedora matters prior to implementing examples here at work.

At one point the book wants me to have samba and cups set to be a working service upon any re-boot. The code for this is given this way:

root# chconfig smb on
root# chconfig cups on
root# /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb restart
root# /etc/rc.d/init.d/cups restart

In general, is that the correct way to auto-start services in F12 or do we need a slightly different code?

Also, how do I auto-mount? I have a slave drive that I need to auto-mount upon startup or reboot - how exactly do I go about doing that? Thanks.

bbfuller
8th December 2009, 10:34 PM
Hello troyatlarge

Personally, I use:

system-config-services

to turn both samba and cups on. I think you'll actually find the latter is up and running in any case in Fedora.

system-config-services also turns up on the Administration menu of both Gnome and KDE. In KDE it's just "Services" and I think it's the same in Gnome.

One catch that isn't mentioned, seemingly, in your book is that samba relies on two services, 'smb' and 'nmb'. In some distributions turning on smb turns on both, in Fedora each has to be turned on individually.

Don't forget that you are going to need to allow Samba through the Fedora firewall, and if your samba machine is to act as any form of samba server you will need to allow access in SELinux as well.

I don't know about automounting without working it out as I don't use it, but at least this much of a response will bump you post up to top of the pile again.

troyatlarge
14th December 2009, 06:33 PM
Thanks for your reply. I downloaded the SELinux book from Fedora (both of them) but the author talks well over my head so it will be a slow learn instead of a fast one as I have to research each thing.

Still in the dark about auto-mounting in general and need to learn it as I have a slave drive I need to have auto-mount on startup - I know its easy, just so little time in the day.

beaker_
14th December 2009, 08:07 PM
I believe the term 'auto-mount' is why you can't find answers. You want to either edit fstat or drop a command into rc.local. You can also specify your selinux context within either fstab or in the command if the filesystem doesn't support the extended attributes (fat, ntfs). If needed i.e.,