PDA

View Full Version : cannot change icons, colours, font sizes in Nautilus

adpads
1st December 2009, 02:11 PM
Hi all -
Still ironing out the kinks in a new install of Fedora 12.
For some reason I am not able to change the icons, colours or font size used in the Nautilus file browser. While I am able to change these settings in System>Preferences>Appearance, changes just don't affect the Nautilus file browser, which continues to use the default Fedora icons in blue and 9 pt. Sans as its font no matter what I do. On the GNOME desktop I am able to adjust fonts and sizes, but when I change the icons, settings do not stick after a reboot.

I have tried deleting the ~/.gconf/apps/nautilus directory, downgrading nautilus, even removing and reinstalling it entirely, but to no avail. Tools like gnome-color-chooser affect the panel and desktop, but just don't have any effect on the Nautilus file browser. Why?

This looks to me like a permissions issue possibly? The situation could be affected by the fact that the settings in /home were inherited from a previous installation of another linux distro. What am I doing wrong?

Dangermouse
1st December 2009, 02:52 PM
Hi it works for me fine changing the icons in System>Preferences>Appearance,
and to change the size, i changed in nautilus preferences so it probably is something to do
with
The situation could be affected by the fact that the settings in /home were inherited from a previous installation of another linux distro. What am I doing wrongProbably try making a new user and see if it all works then

adpads
1st December 2009, 07:50 PM
Well, I created a new user and gave it a try, but as the joke goes, 'that plan worked, but not in the way you think.'
The gnome-do window runs by default for the new user at login, so I typed in "appearance" and hit return - why not? To my surprise, rather than the gnome-appearance-properties window (attachment 1) which I might have expected, instead I got this other "gnome appearance settings" window (attachment 2), which I had never seen before, and which I still cannot identify. I can't find a way to run it from the command line or the GNOME menu. What is it? I can't even find any screenshots of it in Google images.

Nonetheless, it seems to work: I was able to adjust icons and font size for Nautilus. However, it only seems to affect Nautilus in GNOME and not in KDE?

Thanks again for your help