PDA

View Full Version : Fedora 12 64 bit + nVidia Drivers +2 monitors: desktop wallpaper issues

thebl4ckd0g
27th November 2009, 10:12 PM
So I recently made the jump from Fedora 10 to Fedora 12. Fresh install of F12 64 bit. Got the nvidia drivers all installed, Nouveau is completely gone and not running. Previous to having done any of that, I had a widescreen-style wallpaper that was spanning OK across 2 monitors with no issues.

Now however, the wallpaper shows up twice - one time on monitor 1, one time on monitor 2. None of the settings for Style when setting a desktop wallpaper work - tiled comes close, but not quite.

I've been playing with the nvidia-settings - I have deleted xorg.conf - reinstalled the nvidia drivers. Disabled compiz (desktop effects), re-installed the drivers again, re-enabled compiz, done a few other things.

Is there something I need to add to the xorg.conf file to get a wallpaper to span across 2 monitors?

I've been scouring google all day and have not found anybody having the same specific issue. I could have sworn I ran across this almost a year ago with Fedora 10 and I can't remember what fixed it. :(

pablaasmo
3rd December 2009, 08:40 AM
I just upgraded from f11 to f12 and had the same experience.
With F11 the wallpaper spanned two monitors, but with F12 I get same picture on each monitor.

I have no clue why this happens?

If anyone can help, please let us know.

JohnnyLinux
4th December 2009, 12:49 AM
May I ask how you got your Nvidia drivers working? I have not gotten my system to work with the proprietary drivers...

Thanks.

thebl4ckd0g
10th December 2009, 10:48 PM
May I ask how you got your Nvidia drivers working? I have not gotten my system to work with the proprietary drivers...

Thanks.

added a line to the kernel - booted into init 3, rmmod the nouveau crap and then installed the nvidia drivers. :)

BTW the wallpapers still refuse to span. A few of my friends also have the same exact issues.

Of note - this worked fine in Fedora 10 and Fedora 11.

Not sure if there is something sitting hidden that is preventing this from being working.

Again this is Fedora 12. 64 bit. Nvidia drivers. twinview.

stijnhoop
6th January 2010, 02:15 PM
Seeing the same thing here. Did any of you report a bug already? Is it gone with the nouveau drivers?

---------- Post added at 02:15 PM CST ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 AM CST ----------

Looks like this recently broke due to this GNOME bug report: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=147808

bmourelo
8th January 2010, 06:44 PM
Seeing the same thing here. Did any of you report a bug already? Is it gone with the nouveau drivers?

It works in Fedora 12 live CD/USB for x86_64 with the noveau drivers.
An update must be the source of the problem.
I always use the noveau drivers, and I have the some problem.

MaZePallas
5th February 2010, 07:06 PM
Please see:

https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=147808

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=556369

To quote:

As for a workaround... If you are running Fedora 12.

Go to koji for gnome-desktop
http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=146755
and fetch the package
gnome-desktop-2.28.1-6.fc12.${ARCH}.rpm
This is the last unbroken package.

Then you can run:
rpm -hvU <package location on disk> --oldpackage.

If you then restart nautilus (for example:
killall nautilus
nautilus & bg
or just plain restart X or logout and log back in), the issue should go away.

thebl4ckd0g
23rd February 2010, 04:56 PM
I think I'll just wait for an official fix from this from the official fedora 12 repo.

bmourelo
26th February 2010, 08:24 PM
I install the packages from the updates-testing repository
Reboot and now it works fine :).

( See https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=556369#c30 )

steelaworkn
26th February 2010, 09:10 PM
This is probably a dumb question, but did you install the 64 bit drivers or the 686 drivers?

bmourelo
26th February 2010, 09:40 PM
This is probably a dumb question, but did you install the 64 bit drivers or the 686 drivers?

I don't update the NVIDIA drivers. I use the default drivers in Fedora 12 (nouveau).

I do sudo yum --enablerepo=updates-testing update gnome-desktop control-center nautilus and reboot.

steelaworkn
26th February 2010, 10:16 PM
I don't update the NVIDIA drivers. I use the default drivers in Fedora 12 (nouveau).

I do sudo yum --enablerepo=updates-testing update gnome-desktop control-center nautilus and reboot.

I was using the nouveau driver for about a week. Nouveau didn't utilize my video card to its full potential. I'm not sure, but I don't think it utilized the card's memory. Any way, it only took me a little more than a week to want to switch to the Nvidia driver.

My question stems from some of the tutorials. It is easy to accidently install th 686 drivers on a 64 bit system. So, I was just wondering if this is the problem. There are 64 bit akmod and kmod nvidia drivers available.

Thetargos
26th February 2010, 10:46 PM
In the current version of yum, no longer does yum automatically install both versions of a package if there is no architecture specific bits in the package name in x86_64 as it used to happen, so if you install through yum form a text terminal and don't supply the x86_64 bit to the package names (eg: yum -y install akmod-nvidia) it will install the x86_64 version in Fedora 12 x86_64 (this is the case since F10, I believe). Unless you are installing the NVIDIA drivers from the nVIDIA drivers site, it is nowadays difficult to confuse i686 with x86_64 drivers.