PDA

View Full Version : How to add "sw development" package after Install

user4
27th November 2009, 01:00 PM
Hi,

I just installed F12 from LiveCD. Works beautifully.

However I realized that all software development tools are missing. I have now made a new DVD of full Fedora 12 but cannot install (as the install hangs on my Dell Optiplex)

My question is, can I go somewhere in my F12, and add "Software Development" package, directly from the F12 DVD install disc. (i.e. without reinstalling the whole linux)

CSchwangler
27th November 2009, 06:43 PM
Go to System -> Administration -> Add/Remove Software. Select "Package collections", scroll down to "Gnome Software Development" (or the equivalent for to DE), select it and click "Apply".

marko
27th November 2009, 07:10 PM
That's not quite enough because he won't be able to use the install dvd as the package source without defining a repo file. He'd need to add a repo definition file for the DVD into the /etc/yum.repos.d directory. This would work:

make a file in /etc/yum.repos.d called installdvd.repo containing:

[installdvd]
name=Fedora $releasever $basearch - DVD
baseurl=file:///media/"Fedora $releasever $basearch DVD"
gpgcheck=1
enabled=0
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-$basearch

Note it's defaulted to disabled since using the DVD is an unusual thing (most times),
then you can use PackageKit or Yumex or yum and turn on using the DVD by mounting your install DVD and
turning the repo on (there's a checkbox in the repository page in yumex and in PackageKit to activate a repo)
If for some reason using the DVD is normal thing (like if you work on a closed network), then just change the enabled=0 to 1 to save the hassle of
checking the box or using the --enablerepo option.

For yum you'd do (assuming the dvd repo is disabled)

yum --enablerepo=installdvd groupinstall "Development Tools" "Development Libraries"