PDA

View Full Version : Automatic Translations

JONOR
13th November 2009, 12:14 AM
Not sure how long this has been a feature but as someone learning a new language this is a great way to do so.

Gödel
13th November 2009, 12:39 AM
I think it's rubbish and gimmicky :p , you can install a firefox extension for translations if you need that sort of thing.

The header for this forum is ridiculous, with the adverts and now this, here's what you see when you refresh a page on a netbook:

leigh123linux
13th November 2009, 12:58 AM
I think it's rubbish and gimmicky :p , you can install a firefox extension for translations if you need that sort of thing.

The header for this forum is ridiculous, with the adverts and now this, here's what you see when you refresh a page on a netbook:

Get a bigger netbook + adblock :p

P.S I have removed a couple of dead languages (Irish and Welsh) + the English translator as it is redundant.

Demz
13th November 2009, 01:01 AM
those Ads been up there for a long time?.i never notice them when im using Adblock

Gödel
13th November 2009, 01:09 AM
Get a bigger netbook + adblock :p

P.S I have removed a couple of dead languages (Irish and Welsh) + the English translator as it is redundant.

ooo, controversial ;)

Actually, I could do with an English translator for some of the stuff posted here :p

PS. 'Get a bigger netbook' ( :D ) is a great line, but not as classic as 'We're gonna need a bigger boat"

JN4OldSchool
13th November 2009, 01:17 AM
If you moved the navigation bar stuff up to the top tool bar in firefox you would gain even more real estate.

http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/2600/captureff.jpg

GoinEasy9
13th November 2009, 01:33 AM
I think it's a nice feature, respectful of those who don't communicate in English. Was it an oversight, or was the Geek flag removed also?

Gödel
13th November 2009, 01:34 AM
Yeah, more real estate for Leigh to stick an even larger monstrosity in

PS don't post ilinks to images wider than 800 pixels, it's not netbook friendly either

:)

JN4OldSchool
13th November 2009, 01:37 AM
Yeah, more real estate for Leigh to stick an even larger monstrosity in

PS don't post ilinks to images wider than 800 pixels, it's not netbook friendly either

:)

lol, sorry, I don't have a netbook! :D

If I ever do talk my wife into one I am sure I will complain about my own screenshots. ;)

Gödel
13th November 2009, 01:38 AM
I think it's a nice feature, respectful of those who don't communicate in English. Was it an oversight, or was the Geek flag removed also?

You can see where this is leading, how many world languages are there? Also, flags are political, Fedora removed them from the distro a while back because of any possible negative political implications

aleph
13th November 2009, 01:58 AM
The little colorful flags are simply a distraction. If you really want automatic translation, why not wrap it up in a "Quick Links" sub-menu?

GoinEasy9
13th November 2009, 02:03 AM
I like the colors man, The colors.

Demz
13th November 2009, 02:06 AM
so whens the Board gonna be updated to 3.8.4? :D

beaker_
13th November 2009, 02:47 AM
Hahaha, I'm waiting to see what gets lost and gets found in translation. cough cough... dnto reference.

leigh123linux
13th November 2009, 04:39 AM
You can see where this is leading, how many world languages are there? Also, flags are political, Fedora removed them from the distro a while back because of any possible negative political implications

The flags are in keeping with fedora policy.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Package_Maintainers_Flags_Policy

bob
13th November 2009, 04:58 AM
Sometimes, you guys slay me. For five years, we had NO changes or improvements and no way to do them. We lost the Gallery, lost the way to upload images and could do nothing about it.

So, we've been given the ability to improve things, to make changes. The Gallery can't exist in it's old form, but we have Pictures & Albums to replace it. Oh no, no good! Uh-uh, not the Gallery! We try and add additional Search options and get criticized, even though the old one was horrible.

We try to improve redundant posts where you think you've got the question, only to find out that the OP's added info in the next post or tags on a "bump" or "I really need the answer NOW" to push the thread to the top of the pile. And, immediate critique on that.

Now, we give a translator that just might come in handy for folks. Yeah, you can use babelfish; I sure do lots of times, but this is a pretty simple way for our non-english-speaking members to have some ease of use in the Forum and .....Nope! No good again!

Guys, you slay me. 2004 Forever!!! Gee, it's late and I'm grouchy. G'nite.

JN4OldSchool
13th November 2009, 05:09 AM
I like the translator! Muy bueno! And I like flags too. Flags are to be respected, I honor other nations flags as well as my own. Guess I am just old school that way. So keep up the good work. :)

Dan
13th November 2009, 05:15 AM
"Hasta muy bien!"

Or ... as they say in the 'hood around here ... "Be smokin', bro!"

scottro
13th November 2009, 05:53 AM
According to Google's translator, "So great."

forkbomb
13th November 2009, 06:20 AM
Or ... as they say in the 'hood around here ... "Be smokin', bro!"
That's so gangsta.

Didn't like the flags, so I made an adblock filter blocking the directory.

Life goes on.

Dan
13th November 2009, 06:40 AM
... PS. 'Get a bigger netbook' ( :D ) is a great line, but not as classic as 'We're gonna need a bigger boat"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9Ajm_6Vz8M

Gödel
13th November 2009, 11:53 AM
Sometimes, you guys slay me. For five years, we had NO changes or improvements and no way to do them. We lost the Gallery, lost the way to upload images and could do nothing about it.

So, we've been given the ability to improve things, to make changes. The Gallery can't exist in it's old form, but we have Pictures & Albums to replace it. Oh no, no good! Uh-uh, not the Gallery! We try and add additional Search options and get criticized, even though the old one was horrible.

We try to improve redundant posts where you think you've got the question, only to find out that the OP's added info in the next post or tags on a "bump" or "I really need the answer NOW" to push the thread to the top of the pile. And, immediate critique on that.

Now, we give a translator that just might come in handy for folks. Yeah, you can use babelfish; I sure do lots of times, but this is a pretty simple way for our non-english-speaking members to have some ease of use in the Forum and .....Nope! No good again!

Guys, you slay me. 2004 Forever!!! Gee, it's late and I'm grouchy. G'nite.

You shouldn't take it personally, the criticisms have usually been valid:

The Pictures & Albums isn't as convenient as the Gallery for casual browsing.

You originally implemented the search options before you'd worked out how to do it sensibly (like it is now).

"We try to improve redundant posts" - oh really? I hadn't noticed the great need for that, you've invented scenarios that hardly exists and then implemented a change which is mostly unhelpful.

Translation can be implemented quite easily by the small number of people who require it with firefox addons (firefox addon translate page) etc rather than placing an unpleasantly colouful banner on every page.

I think a good idea when considering new features is to see if it's done on other major forums, there are usually good reasons why certain plugins aren't in wide use.

You made good changes too! :

1. Anti Spam
2. 30 sec search limit
3. Enhanced search options:

and you got praise for fixing the attachments feature n'est-ce pas?

These core types of things need to work well, the rest of the stuff is unnecessary and distracting

leigh123linux
13th November 2009, 11:59 AM
You shouldn't take it personally, the criticisms have usually been valid:

The Pictures & Albums isn't as convenient as the Gallery for casual browsing.

You originally implemented the search options before you'd worked out how to do it sensibly (like it is now).

"We try to improve redundant posts" - oh really? I hadn't noticed the great need for that, you've invented scenarios that hardly exists and then implemented a change which is mostly unhelpful.

Translation can be implemented quite easily by the small number of people who require it with firefox addons (http://firefox%20addon%20translate%20page) etc rather than placing an unpleasantly colouful banner on every page.

I think a good idea when considering new features is to see if it's done on other major forums, there are usually good reasons why certain plugins aren't in wide use.

You made good changes too! :

1. Anti Spam
2. 30 sec search limit
3. Enhanced search options:

and you got praise for fixing the attachments feature n'est-ce pas?

These core types of things need to work well, the rest of the stuff is unnecessary and distracting

It's over 50% (non English)

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/psistats.php?do=regions

Gödel
13th November 2009, 12:00 PM
Ah, I see it's been moved to the bottom of the page, that's better :)

Lammhult
14th January 2010, 03:49 AM
I must say if you just installed Fedora and not are famely with the fox so are that wery helpfull to have one translator. I'm haven't any shoise. Then i've just want to thank's for the site, it's very easy to find wath you looking for. Then i'm just wondering if you can wright in the begining of the forum howe they chall fix nvidia so they don't ask & ask for it, i'm meen just search and you will find.
Ps. Gödel is'nt that Germeny or Tyskland Ds.

Demz
14th January 2010, 04:14 AM
i find these auto translations stupid.. you get some one that cant type in English type in a thread an hardly any of us understand it anyway unless we use Google translation to translate it to English

---------- Post added at 02:02 PM CST ---------- Previous post was at 02:00 PM CST ----------

take for instance this post by tis guy http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showpost.php?p=1317963&postcount=10 none of us reply to him either

---------- Post added at 02:14 PM CST ---------- Previous post was at 02:02 PM CST ----------

an if someone types in japanese or whatever non understanding language how does one know if it aint spam? everyone should have to type English IMO

Dan
14th January 2010, 04:19 AM
IMO, further debate about this is as pointless as mammary glands on a frog.

Thread closed.