PDA

View Full Version : Some antivirus with GUI?

miros84
29th October 2009, 02:05 PM
Can you recomend me some antivirus with GUI for me Fedora and where to download it?

Hlingler
29th October 2009, 02:26 PM
sudo yum install clamav clamtk

V

Sagitter
29th October 2009, 07:27 PM
Can you recomend me some antivirus with GUI for me Fedora and where to download it?

In theory, it's useless.

edenCC
30th October 2009, 08:10 AM
plus it might use some negotiable system resources....

bendib
5th November 2009, 08:34 AM
You do not need an antivirus in linux, we are only 1% of the marketshare, we are really safe, so sit back, relax, and click on that free PSP scam!

stevea
5th November 2009, 02:44 PM
You do not need an antivirus in linux, we are only 1% of the marketshare, we are really safe, so sit back, relax, and click on that free PSP scam!

Fanboi living in a fool's paradise, eh bendib ?

There are real and serious Linux virii out there already That doesn't change the fact that the anti-virus concept is flawed. Attempts to detect and remove malware cannot be perfect. It comes from a philosophy that intrusion is common/expected/accepted therefore repair *attempts* are useful. IMO only the prevention aspect of anti-virus software makes sense, but it's hampered by the imperfect detection issue.

Aside from the obvious firewall/password/selinux advice, what is needed is a "sandbox" concept so that all the programs that interface with the outside world (mostly the net) have almost no ability to observe or change your system config including the file system. Webrowser plugins (but also email clients) are major culprits. When you download a binary-only flash player and point it at youtube - you have absolutely no idea what it may be doing, yet it's executing with full user authority. Similarly java , javascript, jpeg viewers, email attachment viewers. If these ran in a sandbox, a sort of VM isolated from most of the real system, a lot of problems would be instantly solved.

forkbomb
5th November 2009, 02:54 PM
This again?

Obscurity isn't everything. Linux systems tend to have far better privilege separation. And more savvy users who don't click on free PSP scams.

bg3075
7th November 2009, 02:09 AM
It's good for a dual-boot system, so that any files downloaded via Fedora can be scanned, shared with Windows, etc.

zhelo
7th November 2009, 07:51 AM
http://www.avast.com/esp/download-avast-for-linux-edition.html

GODhack
7th November 2009, 04:06 PM
Pure wasting of computing resources.

ongoto
8th November 2009, 02:02 PM
I installed chkrootkit just for my own peace of mind.

troyatlarge
8th November 2009, 03:10 PM
Fanboi living in a fool's paradise, eh bendib ?

Aside from the obvious firewall/password/selinux advice, what is needed is a "sandbox" concept so that all the programs that interface with the outside world (mostly the net) have almost no ability to observe or change your system config including the file system. Webrowser plugins (but also email clients) are major culprits. When you download a binary-only flash player and point it at youtube - you have absolutely no idea what it may be doing, yet it's executing with full user authority. Similarly java , javascript, jpeg viewers, email attachment viewers. If these ran in a sandbox, a sort of VM isolated from most of the real system, a lot of problems would be instantly solved.

What your saying there sounds very good (I don't understand enough about basic systems to say if it actually is good, but it certainly sounds good!). I wanna sandbox - where do I get one??

Actually, more to the point, I would like to install a sandbox that worked on every infested Microsoft box that I have to fix - I feel for the number of people whose computers are trashed by all these Trogen's and adware and malware etc. Show me a good sandbox for any Windows system and I'll install it daily.