PDA

View Full Version : can I mount a logvol from two isos?

mikegarrison
29th October 2009, 05:25 AM
I replaced the hds in my computer a while back. They were linked up as one logical volume, but before I pulled them out I saved isos of each disk.

However, now I need to find some information on them, but I can't figure out how to mount the isos. When I try mount -o loop on either iso, it tells me it can't recognize the file system type.

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/loop0,
missing codepage or helper program, or other error
In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
dmesg | tail or so

So I'm guessing that somehow I have to tell mount that they are two parts of one logical volume, but I'm not sure how to do that.

One way or another, is it going to be possible for me to recover the info from these isos?

diamond_ramsey
29th October 2009, 05:45 AM
I replaced the hds in my computer a while back. They were linked up as one logical volume, but before I pulled them out I saved isos of each disk.

However, now I need to find some information on them, but I can't figure out how to mount the isos. When I try mount -o loop on either iso, it tells me it can't recognize the file system type.

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/loop0,
missing codepage or helper program, or other error
In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
dmesg | tail or so

So I'm guessing that somehow I have to tell mount that they are two parts of one logical volume, but I'm not sure how to do that.

One way or another, is it going to be possible for me to recover the info from these isos?

:) mikegarrison, thank you for your post. :)

As root, try this -

mount -o loop -t iso9660 ../.iso /viewiso
(The .iso files will be viewed as a filesystem)

Hope this helps. ;)

mikegarrison
29th October 2009, 06:48 AM
:) mikegarrison, thank you for your post. :)

As root, try this -

mount -o loop ../.iso /viewiso
(The .iso files will be viewed as a filesystem)

Hope this helps. ;)

It says
mount: you must specify the filesystem type

If I tell it -t ext3 it tells me it can't read the filesystem.

diamond_ramsey
29th October 2009, 07:03 AM
Ah, try this -

mount -o loop -t iso9660 ../.iso /viewiso

Updating previous post. :)

stevea
29th October 2009, 07:53 AM
Before you go any farther - HOW did you do the backup to the ISO images ?
No one here can guess what you did to create the iso's so any response so far is a wild guess.

mikegarrison
29th October 2009, 09:42 PM
I just did a dd of the disks off to a bigger disk I had mounted with NFS. I did not realize that there might be a problem with the fact that the disks were part of a logical volume. Now it appears that they can not be read individually.

And yeah, I tried -t iso9660 and it didn't work.