PDA

View Full Version : Big mistake

pgar23
12th October 2009, 02:26 AM
I downloaded quicktime from the apple website because I am trying to get Itunes for fedora (If anyone knows another program that is functional with the IPOD please, let me know), I installed it with WINE, but the program is not responding well with my box. The program doesn't open, instead it black-out my computer screen and when I move the mouse over things, they then start to appear. Anyways...I tried uninstalling all of the files and folders that include the names "quicktime and qt"...then I tried re-installing QuickTime. Now I receive a reply that states "There is already a newer version of QuickTime installed on your computer." When I try
[pgar23@python ~]$ locate quicktime
/usr/lib/libquicktime
/usr/lib/libquicktime.so.0
/usr/lib/libquicktime.so.0.0.0
/usr/share/doc/libquicktime-1.1.1
[pgar23@python ~]$
But when I search through the filesystem, those files/folders are not present...
How can I completely remove this atrocious program PLEASE???

PabloTwo
12th October 2009, 02:50 AM
The locate command searches from a database file, not directly on the disk drive, which is why it so quick. When changes to what is actually on the disk drive, or not, have been made, it is necessary to update the database that locate uses for it to be accurate as to what it is reporting.

To do that: su -c "updatedb" or sudo updatedb if you have sudo setup for yourself.

Edit: Be very careful if you use locate to locate "qt". There are packages that have nothing to do with Apples Quicktime that have the name qt.

~/> rpm -qa | grep qt
qt4-x11-4.4.3-1.fc8.i386
qt4-4.4.3-1.fc8.i386
qt-3.3.8b-2.fc8.i386
qt4-devel-4.4.3-1.fc8.i386
qt-devel-3.3.8b-2.fc8.i386
with a ton of directories and files whose name begin with qt.

pgar23
12th October 2009, 03:46 AM
The locate command searches from a database file, not directly on the disk drive, which is why it so quick. When changes to what is actually on the disk drive, or not, have been made, it is necessary to update the database that locate uses for it to be accurate as to what it is reporting.

To do that: su -c "updatedb" or sudo updatedb if you have sudo setup for yourself.

Edit: Be very careful if you use locate to locate "qt". There are packages that have nothing to do with Apples Quicktime that have the name qt.

~/> rpm -qa | grep qt
qt4-x11-4.4.3-1.fc8.i386
qt4-4.4.3-1.fc8.i386
qt-3.3.8b-2.fc8.i386
qt4-devel-4.4.3-1.fc8.i386
qt-devel-3.3.8b-2.fc8.i386
with a ton of directories and files whose name begin with qt.

Thanks PabloTwo, you are my fedoraforum savior. I notice that you are very active on this forum because I have posted a couple of threads and I think that you have replied on most of them with helpful info. Well appreciated.

I digress from my question, How can I completely remove this program then?

PabloTwo
12th October 2009, 03:53 AM
Well, if you installed it with Wine, why not uninstall it with Wine? In my Wine menu, I would just choose "Wine Software Uninstaller", which brings up a window with the packages I installed. I would then select the program I wanted to uninstall then hit the "add/remove" button. Seems simple enough, eh?

pgar23
12th October 2009, 03:57 AM
Yes it would SEEM simple enough, I did install through WINE and when I try to uninstall through WINE (APPLICATIONS > WINE file > QuickTime > then uninstall, it re-installs QT and then posts the error that a newer version is already installed.)

PabloTwo
12th October 2009, 04:06 AM
I have winefile in my Wine menu (Fedora8, wine-1.1.9-2.fc8.i386), but right below that entry is "Wine Software Uninstaller". Is that not in your wine menu? I don't know if I can help you on this one. One thing I can tell though, wine is rather notorious for leaving behind it's *.desktop files after uninstalling a program, so the now uninstalled program still shows up in your menu. You have to manaully remove those *.desktop files hiding in:

~/.local/share/applications/wine/Programs/whatever

Edit: Everything installed through Wine will be in: ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/
Search through all the directories located there and just delete the ones associated with the QuickTime install(s).

pgar23
12th October 2009, 04:23 AM
I do have that in my WINE menu, but when I choose to uninstall all of these programs it still re-installs everything. Maybe it is a bug in F11...? Who knows.

bigboss2200
12th October 2009, 06:47 PM
I don't think its a bug "to be honest", many windows software DO reinstall themselves once you chose to "add/remove" it.. and as PablyTwo said, just remove the directory associated with QuickTime and you are off to go, also try to remove the registry keys too, it will be helpful

and a small search over the internet lead me to an application called Banshee (http://banshee-project.org/)..
Play your music and videos. Stay entertained and up to date with podcasts and video podcasts. Discover new music with Last.fm radio. Sync your G1 phone, iPod, and other devices. We think you'll love the new Banshee!

pgar23
12th October 2009, 07:09 PM
I don't think its a bug "to be honest", many windows software DO reinstall themselves once you chose to "add/remove" it.. and as PablyTwo said, just remove the directory associated with QuickTime and you are off to go, also try to remove the registry keys too, it will be helpful

and a small search over the internet lead me to an application called Banshee (http://banshee-project.org/)..

Does Banshee support iPhones or iPod Touch devices?
No. These devices are very different from iPods and support for them has not been undertaken yet.

PabloTwo
12th October 2009, 07:48 PM
And by the way, going back to post #1 on this thread...

If you have deleted the files shown:

/usr/lib/libquicktime

you had best reinstall them. They did not come from the Windows QuickTime install that you did in Wine. They are from the package libquicktime from the RPMFusion repos. To reinstall:

rpm --nodeps -e libquicktime
yum install libquicktime

bigboss2200
12th October 2009, 07:53 PM
Does Banshee support iPhones or iPod Touch devices?
No. These devices are very different from iPods and support for them has not been undertaken yet.

My bad :( .. sorry, tried to help ><

soxs060389
12th October 2009, 07:57 PM
For the future use:
gtkpod
Amarok
exaile (preferably from exail.org, but needs to be compiled for yourself, new version has major improvements)
Banshee
Rythmbox (if you're lucky)

Note: I *think* they use all the same library to access iPods, so you may have look at (libpod or similar, which should tell you which versions are supported)

pgar23
12th October 2009, 08:00 PM
And by the way, going back to post #1 on this thread...

If you have deleted the files shown:

/usr/lib/libquicktime

you had best reinstall them. They did not come from the Windows QuickTime install that you did in Wine. They are from the package libquicktime from the RPMFusion repos. To reinstall:

rpm --nodeps -e libquicktime
yum install libquicktime

Yes, I have deleted those files. OOPS! Guess when I get home i will be re-installing them. Thanks PabloTwo.

pgar23
12th October 2009, 08:01 PM
For the future use:
gtkpod
Amarok
exaile (preferably from exail.org, but needs to be compiled for yourself, new version has major improvements)
Banshee
Rythmbox (if you're lucky)

Note: I *think* they use all the same library to access iPods, so you may have look at (libpod or similar, which should tell you which versions are supported)

Good idea. Thanks!