PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade Question

Johnny Fist
4th October 2004, 01:05 AM
I have sort of a general upgrading question. I've been using Fedora Core One since its release and never bothered upgrading. If I were to upgrade to Core Two would I have any problems as opposed to formatting and installing it fresh? You know, sometimes a Windows upgrade goes afoul and I'm wonderig if the same holds true for Fedora. Thanks in advance.

superbnerd
4th October 2004, 01:29 AM
Sadly you will encounter several problem, none of which are unsolvable, but it might be easier to just backup your data and do a fresh install. FC2 has several different core packages such as XFree86 > Xorg, 2.4 kernel > 2.6 kernel, OSS > Alsa.

While you install fc2, be sure to make you /home a seperate partition and put all your data, media, etc. there so the next time you do a clean install you won't loose your data.

Johnny Fist
4th October 2004, 01:55 AM
Maybe I'll just wait a bit then. I kind of like the way everything is set up now. Thanks for your input.

superbnerd
4th October 2004, 02:20 AM
What exactly are you waiting for? I guess you could be waiting for fc3 which should be out the last week of the is month.

Johnny Fist
4th October 2004, 04:23 AM
I think I'll just wait until either I bonk something enough to warrant a new installation or the apps I use require an upgrade.

foolish
4th October 2004, 09:59 AM
Get this people: Upgrading will only work when upgrading from one stable core release to another using the installer (anaconda). This does require you to have a fairly tidy system. Breakage caused by mixing repositories, using source code instead of packages without separating them and so forth may result in upgrade not working. For all of you who don't trust me when I tell you not to mix repositories, here's one reason.

If you do have a tidy system, use the installer and upgrade from one stable core release to another, it will work, and work well.

superbnerd
4th October 2004, 11:49 AM
@ Foolish
If you read my first reply, you would have noticed I said most, if not all, of the upgrades problems were easily solvable. But Johnny opted to stay with what works. Things like the infamous XKB problem are instoduced when upgrading from Xfree86 to Xorg without mixing repos or installing anything from source. The switch to the 2.6 kernel caused a lot of incompatibilities and confusion and the same with alsa.

Have you ever upgraded a system? The process is not all that sweet, and not everyone has a perfect, rpm only, system. It would be ill advise for me to tell Johnny every thing would be alright when the majority of users that upgraded had several conflicts. I know this becuase I was here in the forums during the release of fc2 when everybody upgraded. Even the developers says a clean install is always best. In the real world, not every software package is availabe as an rpm, so some people install it from source. A lot of fedora users didn't even know about yum. They would just hunt on the internet and install what they could. The fedora extras/livna repos don't have a lot of the packages that the dries/dag/fresh/at/newrpms alliance has. Do you think people just did without the software becuase the rpm wasn't available in one paticular repo alliance? It is sadly naive to think everyone has a spotless system.

foolish
5th October 2004, 10:39 AM
@ Foolish
Have you ever upgraded a system?

Yes.

I know this becuase I was here in the forums during the release of fc2 when everybody upgraded.

As was I.

A lot of fedora users didn't even know about yum. They would just hunt on the internet and install what they could.

Which is why I am constantly telling people to use yum, to use rpm packages, to use special folders if they have to install from source, keep your systems tidy!

It is sadly naive to think everyone has a spotless system.

It is naive I agree, people do not have spotless systems, I am well aware.

And since I am aware, I try to help people in not messing up their systems, I try to convince people that they should at least try to keep their systems tidy.

That is what I'm trying to do, I'm trying to tell people that there is reason why you should not mix repositories, there is a reason not to install stuff from source without the --prefix=/usr/local flag, there is a reason why I am constantly *****ing about this, and one of the reasons I'm doing so is that I was here during the upgrade to Core 2, I was around when people upgraded to Core 1, I've been around for a while and I've seen how messed up installes results in people having to reinstall.

Personally I think it's more important to teach people good habits, the right methods for doing stuff than solving some random problem. Helping users so that they can help themselves in the future is better.

Let's end this now. This is a support forum, not a place for rantings and discussion.

Johnny Fist
5th October 2004, 11:00 AM
Whats this about using flags if you instal from source? I alwaus just made a folder in my home directory and installed there.

foolish
11th October 2004, 07:16 PM
Which will work just as well, the point is installing it somewhere different then where the packages put files. Using /usr/local/ is just my preference. Good boy.