PDA

View Full Version : AMD 64 install

saabboi24
3rd October 2004, 04:18 PM
I'm installing Linux for my first time.... scary right? Anyhow, I can't seem to get into the GUI at all... even in the install. I'm installing the 64-bit version, I can go through the text mode, but one it finishes I end up getting a black screen again. I'm using an x800 ATI video card. Anyone have any suggestions on this.

Thanks,
Travis

triplehead
3rd October 2004, 04:23 PM
have you tried installing in text mode.

saabboi24
3rd October 2004, 04:35 PM
yes, and it runs through fine in text mode... once the install finishes and it starts to load the GUI, blank screen.

triplehead
3rd October 2004, 04:48 PM
try using some generic driver for ati graphics card and after installing download correct drivers.

LinuxBob
4th October 2004, 07:51 PM
Howdy All ---
For what its worth, I had probs with the 64-bit install as well. My MOBO is an Abit AV8 and using an Nvidia 6800 vid-card...my Windows gamer card !!!

The 32-bit version, as well as the FC2-32 bit works fine, by doing its VESA tricks without any form of recognition of the vid-card.

The 64-bit SuSE is another story -- while it sets up the VESA buffering OK for the Nvidia card, it WILL NOT HOLD THE SETUP. While the GUI is working fine during the install, it is dropped on the first reboot, with an error about the boot process sending a wrong value to the kernel, and the X-server will not run, even after alot of text-based tweaks. ZIP.

I do not think the 64-bit version (SuSE 9.1) supports my MOBO chipset..the VIA KT800 set.

Any of this sound familiar -- I am very new to the 64-bit offerings. Anyone with a similar setup try the Red Hat 64-bit beta???

Just getting up to speed here --- newbie blues!!!!! -- Thanks :)

LinuxBob
5th October 2004, 02:19 AM
Well after plugging away some more, at least got the SuSE 9.1 64-bit to install and run!!!!

While I am still more interested in the Fedora Projects' 64 bit system, at least I can do some more LEARNING on the SuSE system until I can get a stable version of FC3 (64).

Keep yall posted....Tks!!!! :D

barhob
5th October 2004, 02:26 AM
I had some problems with video on my Sun V20z. Fedora Core 2 graphical install went fine, but the 64bit install kept giving me a black screen. I swapped the monitor out for one that supports more resolutions, and ditched a KVM that I was using on it, and everything started to work.

LinuxBob
5th October 2004, 03:50 AM
Hello Barhob ----

Which 64 bit distro are you referencing?? SuSE or Fedora???

I downloaded the DVD .iso image and put it on a DVD....started the install, only to have it hang up looking for software on CDs that did not exist...but again had no problem with the SuSE distro (on DVD) once I got a few setting corrected. Using it as I type this post.

What say ??? Thanks ---

:)

barhob
12th October 2004, 03:40 AM
LinuxBob,

Sorry for the long time in getting back. I was referencing Fedora.

Does your installation attempt get far enough to test the installation media?