PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing recovery CDs?

parabraves
3rd October 2009, 06:27 AM
I ran into a boot problem that has informed me it can't find the file system or mount the root and is "sleeping forever". My dad gave me a laptop with Fedora already installed but I never got the disc so I'm unable to use anything to boot past the bootloader screen. Can I find a recovery disc or program online anywhere or am I going to have to buy the entire OS?

I do have a 4 gig USB Flash stick---IBM Thinkpad x23.

ozjd
3rd October 2009, 07:39 AM
Here's a link for getting Fedora but maybe someone else here can help you solve the problem.
http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora

Demz
3rd October 2009, 07:42 AM
I ran into a boot problem that has informed me it can't find the file system or mount the root and is "sleeping forever". My dad gave me a laptop with Fedora already installed but I never got the disc so I'm unable to use anything to boot past the bootloader screen. Can I find a recovery disc or program online anywhere or am I going to have to buy the entire OS?

I do have a 4 gig USB Flash stick---IBM Thinkpad x23.

if you need to buy it, i suggest you give www.cheapbytes.com a go or get a friend to download you Fedora

parabraves
3rd October 2009, 03:54 PM
Thank you so much, that did lead to me getting back on here but now I don't know where to start. I won't elaborate for fear of cross-posting as my problems lie in general support, but I had to throw down a thanks.

ryptyde
3rd October 2009, 08:33 PM
Can you boot a previous kernel? I've run into the "going to sleep forever" scene a few times and have just selected a older kernel from the boot menu that worked. :)

parabraves
3rd October 2009, 08:56 PM
I have two fc10 kernels and one fc12, the latter thinking the rawhide update would fix everything. You guessed it, I first laid eyes on anything Linux less than a month ago. I take newbiness to epic proportions and the laptop is showing that every chance it gets. If the older kernel doesn't work I'm starting fresh since I haven't had this long enough to store a whole heckuva lot of data in the first place---if I can figure out how to. ;)