PDA

View Full Version : Can't reach KDE login screen anymore. (FC11)

maden
1st October 2009, 08:42 PM
Alright so I was in the bus, on my way home from college, and I was coding some java. I had just finished setting everything up & everything was working fine so I kind of freaked out when I typed `javac hw.java`, and I received a weird error. I can't remember it exactly but from that point, I was not able to use any java-related command anymore. `javac`, `jar`, `java`.... I kept getting the same error. Something like "java runtine environement error", but it may not be that exactly. It kept creating .log files in my /home/maden/ folder, but as my topic title says, I can't reach the boot screen anymore ! I have no idea if the two problems are related but I think they are. When I got home, I restarted my ASUS eeepc 1005h and reached the KDE login screen anymore! I turn on my computer, it goes to the GRUB loader, I select fedora core 11... I then see the fedora fedora logo slowling filling up, as usual, and when the login screen is supposed to pop up, it does not. It just remains black. So now, I can't do ANYTHING, can't even login as failsafe or nothing, my data seems unreachable!

What should I do to fix this? I would rather not format my hard drive...

Thank you in advance.

parish
1st October 2009, 09:07 PM
Maybe it's an X problem. Have you tried switching to a virtual terminal with CTRL-ALT-F2 or -F3 or -F4...? Does this get you to a console login prompt?

Daniel

maden
1st October 2009, 09:18 PM
I'll try this now.
Also, I forgot to mention, my first attempt to log into fedora when I got back home were half successful. I saw the login screen (!) and typed my password in. I then pressed enter and it started to launch... but after two seconds or so it turned black and I it returned to the login screen. I rebooted again after that and now I can't reach the login screen.

maden
1st October 2009, 09:22 PM
@parish I just tried doing what you told me to do. I reached the console login, and I could reach my files.... so apparently it's a xserver problem (I believe, i dont know much about it) what should I do to manually turn the xserver on? (does that even make sense?)

parish
1st October 2009, 09:26 PM
First change to runlevel 3 by typing init 3 at the console (you may have to go back to VT 1 (CTRL-ALT-F1) to continue. Now type startx. If X starts up and fails, it should leave some descriptive information in the console. It may be that you have to reinstall your video drivers.

Daniel

maden
1st October 2009, 09:38 PM
I did that. When I did `init 3`, I got this line which is interesting:
"Starting system message bus: Failed to start message bus: Failed to close "/var/run/messagebus.pid": No space left on device [FAILED]

So apparently I lack space on my hard drive. I remember when I installed fedora, I had to manually do the partitionning. I might of made one too small because I wasn't completely sure of what I was doing.

I also did `startx` and received space lacking error messages too.

What should I do?

parish
1st October 2009, 09:44 PM
First use df to see which partition is full (likely /). From there you will need to see what is taking up space and get rid of it, or copy it somewhere if you need it. If you post the ouput of your df command it would help.

Daniel

maden
1st October 2009, 09:58 PM
And once again, you're right.
/dev/sda7 [...] 100%

I have no idea what is taking space up... there are 4030136 "blocks" avaiable, and i don't know what a block is. I had some large files in /home/maden but I deleted them, eventhough that only increased the free space in /home

Full output:

Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Avaiable Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda7 4030140 4030136 0 100% /
/dev/sda5 3023760 86020 2784140 3% /boot
/dev/sda6 50395840 1768644 46067200 4% /home
tmpfs 509580 0 509580 0% /dev/shm

http://i38.tinypic.com/2ms329e.png

parish
1st October 2009, 10:12 PM
Deleting anything in /home will not help, the problem is in /. The first places I'd look would be in /tmp, /usr/tmp, /var/tmp, /var/log, and /var/cache, especially in /var/cache/yum if you've done a lot of updates and have yum configured to retain the rpms.

You can also cd to / and to a du -sk * | sort -rn to generate a list of directories sorted by how much space they're using up. It will take a little while to run...

Daniel

maden
1st October 2009, 10:40 PM
Well, I ****ed up. I apparently deleted something I shouldnt of and i'm now unable to use my usb mouse, my touchpad, or my keyboard! im going for a format & reinstall. I'll try to partition better next time.

marko
1st October 2009, 11:06 PM
You can also cd to / and to a du -sk * | sort -rn to generate a list of directories sorted by how much space they're using up. It will take a little while to run...

Daniel

This woul d be a good way too:

du -xk --max-depth=1 / | sort -n

doing the sort in the other order since you want the disk hogs to be last, -x prevents it from going into other filesystems like nfs mounts.

parish
1st October 2009, 11:25 PM
This woul d be a good way too:

doing the sort in the other order since you want the disk hogs to be last, -x prevents it from going into other filesystems like nfs mounts.
Actually I prefer to see the big stuff first; just habit I guess. Thanks for the -x switch pointer though, I'd not seen it before.

Daniel

Mikko
2nd October 2009, 01:56 AM
Well, I ****ed up. I apparently deleted something I shouldnt of and i'm now unable to use my usb mouse, my touchpad, or my keyboard! im going for a format & reinstall. I'll try to partition better next time.

The df output says 1k blocks, meaning 1 kilobyte per block, which means you had 4 GB for / and 50 GB for /home. 4 GB is enough to run Fedora if you have a limited set of packages installed, but depending on how may packages you installed, there might not have been much room to play. If some program goes crazy and barfs a lot of data in a temporary or log file, it might be enough to fill up the partiton. Also, a large number of updates might do it, since the all of the RPMs are downloaded first and then installed. You can clean up the yum package and metadata cache by doing as root

yum clean all

If you are going to repartition, you might want to do 7 or 10 GB for the root partition. That should be plenty.

spunog
29th November 2009, 12:41 AM
I have encountered this same problem after installing Postgres Plus . Amy ideas why this might happen? I have re created the problem by installing Postgres Plus on a fresh fedora12 install......