PDA

View Full Version : Converting mkv to either avi or mp4

Panipal2005
1st October 2009, 06:29 PM
Hallo

Can anyone give me help on how to convert mkv files to either avi or mp4? Aso guides on how to use any applications that are suggested, cheers.

ATM I'm trying to use mencoder and am not impressed with it telling me it can't find the file I'm trying to convert. Especially when it WAS perfectly able to fid the file before my computer had an unfortunate crash, which didn't even affect the file in question.

olson
1st October 2009, 06:36 PM
Avidemux can do that, and specify to just copy the video and audio streams in their native codec rather than transcoding. Note that if you do transcode from one lossy codec to another there will be even greater loss in the quality compared to the original source. Cheers!

Panipal2005
1st October 2009, 07:14 PM
I'm talking about what actual command would I enter into Terminal (I assume I'd have to use Terminal).

olson
1st October 2009, 07:31 PM
I'm talking about what actual command would I enter into Terminal (I assume I'd have to use Terminal).

Avidemux has a GUI. I'm sure you could do it with mencoder or ffmpeg, but Avidemux is probably easier for one off jobs. Cheers!

wzb
1st October 2009, 09:10 PM
Hallo

Can anyone give me help on how to convert mkv files to either avi or mp4? Aso guides on how to use any applications that are suggested, cheers.

ATM I'm trying to use mencoder and am not impressed with it telling me it can't find the file I'm trying to convert. Especially when it WAS perfectly able to fid the file before my computer had an unfortunate crash, which didn't even affect the file in question.

ffmpeg -ab 128 -acodec mp3 -sameq -vcodec mpeg4 -mbd rd -flags +4mv+trell+aic -cmp 2 -subcmp 2 -g 300 -s 400x300 -aspect 4:3 -i "$INPUT" "$OUTPUT.mp4"

mencoder $INPUT -ofps 30 -ovc xvid -oac mp3lame -lameopts abr:br=128 -srate 48000 -vf scale -zoom -xy 720 -xvidencopts fixed_quant=4 -o $OUTPUT.xvid.avi

mencoder -forceidx -ffourcc FLV1 -oac mp3lame -lameopts abr:br=56 -srate 22050 -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=flv:vbitrate=250:mbd=2:mv0:trell:v4mv:cbp:l ast_pred=3 -vf scale=360:240 -o $OUTPUT.FLV $INPUT

hudsonc
16th August 2016, 03:51 AM
Not sure if the OP is still looking (doubt it) but in case anyone else is, you can use VLC as a GUI. I tried the ffmpeg command mentioned from WZB above but just couldn't get it to work. Even removing the variables.

Media>Convert/Save>select your input file. {convert}
next screen under the settings area, edit the profile and select "keep original video track" also "keep original audio track".
select your encapsulation (aka final output format)
and START

smr54
16th August 2016, 11:05 AM
Well, this is a 7 year old thread, commands change. The ffmpeg people make changes, often undocumented, sometimes for good reason, and probably other times because they're bored.
ffmpeg -i my.mkv my.avi should work. If there are subtitles, you may (or may not) have to explicitly add them, ffmpeg -i my.mkv -sc copy my.avi.

In cases like this, it's often useful to just open a new thread, with a possible link to the old one. A moderator, probably also bored, may just lock this, saying it's old, but as you've added new information, perhaps they may just split it into another thread, or let it take its course if it starts getting useful responses, as opposed to a bunch of people pointing out how old it is.

While at it, may as well spam my own page on working with media, which, sooner or later, I'm going to have to update.

https://srobb.net/dvds.html