PDA

View Full Version : Installing Gnome 2.28 on Fedora 11?

yanjchan
30th September 2009, 12:05 AM
Hi!
Is there any to install Gnome 2.28 on Fedora 11?
If so, I don't want to waste too much of your time, but could you provide a general description of how this would be done?

I understand it's present in the Fedora 12 Alpha?

Thanks

yanjchan
30th September 2009, 04:00 AM
A shameless bump :(

Wayne
30th September 2009, 04:06 AM
Bumping just ticks people off.

and you can't install it so forget it.

Wayne
30th September 2009, 04:29 AM
OK.. Back from washing glasses... What I wanted to say was that this question comes up every time a new Gnome version is released and the answer is the same, Fedora will not make packages available for the current Fedora release because there are too many dependencies that will break. So, the new Gnome version is released in the next version of Fedora, in this case F12...

Of course, you could try building it yourself...

yanjchan
30th September 2009, 05:13 AM
Oh? I (quote un quote) Can't install it? Instead of starting your post with such a rude and insultory comment, you could have at least provided some useful information.
I already understand that it is possible to build it for myself, in fact, the Gnome developers actually provided a guide on doing so.
What I wanted to know was if anyone who had done this before had any advice.
"You could try building it yourself," I'm sure, is a very helpful comment.

By the way, if one does not bump, how is ones post going to be available to the majority of viewers unless they happen to search for these exact terms?

A little something to think on.

Demz
30th September 2009, 05:16 AM
Oh? I (quote un quote) Can't install it? Instead of starting your post with such a rude and insultory comment, you could have at least provided some useful information.
I already understand that it is possible to build it for myself, in fact, the Gnome developers actually provided a guide on doing so.
What I wanted to know was if anyone who had done this before had any advice.
"You could try building it yourself," I'm sure, is a very helpful comment.

By the way, if one does not bump, how is ones post going to be available to the majority of viewers unless they happen to search for these exact terms?

ever heard of Google? search for answers.

there's many other people wanting there thread answered so bumping it will result in no reply or something sarcastic.

yanjchan
30th September 2009, 05:19 AM
There = Their, not to be a grammar nazi.

I kind of thought the purpose of a forum was to share personal experiences so that others can learn, but I suppose I was wrong.

Demz
30th September 2009, 05:24 AM
There = Their, not to be a grammar nazi.

I kind of thought the purpose of a forum was to share personal experiences so that others can learn, but I suppose I was wrong.

i see . smartass to. you see up the top there between new posts & Quick Links there's a Search function there for the forum members to use put it to good use an use it

Wayne
30th September 2009, 05:27 AM
Welcome to my ignore list....

yanjchan
30th September 2009, 05:38 AM
To Demz:
If you want me to be a "smartass," I sure can.
One, two, three, four, five, siz, seven, eight NINE spelling an grammatical errors in your sentence. Tut tut.
By the way, in case you even bothered searching on the topic:
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/search.php?searchid=11306742

Helpful, yeah?

To Wayne:
Oh no, I'm on an ignore list! Boo hoo. I pity myself.

Please, let's end this discussion.

Demz
30th September 2009, 05:43 AM
like i care about grammer you grammer freak

Finalzone
30th September 2009, 05:58 AM
Guys, please be civil.
To answer the OP, it is not possible to install Gnome 2.28 without changing the release version (for example, Fedora 11 = Gnome 2.26).

pete_1967
30th September 2009, 08:18 AM

Guidelines
These guidelines if followed can help you get more from the forum and make it a more pleasurable experience for everyone.

General

1. Be polite. This is a user forum and we all do this as a hobby, in our free time. Please and thank you can get you a long way.
2. Try to make understanding as easy as possible. We're an international forum with users from all over the world and not all of us are fluent in English. Write in as proper English as you are capable of. Honest mistakes are fine, we all make them.

Remember:
* Write in English.
* Add whitespace to your posts. Use enter for paragraphs.
* Capitalize Correctly. All uppercase is considered screaming and very rude. All lower is hard to read.
* Use correct punctuation. Never use more than one question mark or exclamation mark and only at the end of a sentence.
* Never use "texting abbreviations", "leet-speak" or slang. The purpose of language is beeing understood, not sounding cool.
* Never invent acronyms, use as few acronyms as possible. It's called a problem, not a "pb" and a question, not a "Q".
* Never use colors in all of your posts. Colors are there to highlight something important.
* Read your post over before posting it. Try to catch typos. If you find an error after posting, use the Edit button to make your corrections.
* Don't "bump" your post by adding a second post with no worthwhile content. If you haven't received a response in over 24 hours, consider following up with the efforts you've tried in the meantime and their result. Naturally, if you forgot to add important information, a second post or an edit of your first post is acceptable.

3. Report bad posts. If you discover an abusive post or someone posting a thread in the wrong section, report it to the staff using the "Report Post" link, that is above every post.
4. Go easy on the images, they may help to explain something more clearly or indicate a problem you are experiencing better but you have to remember that not everyone has the same amount of bandwidth to waste on downloading large image files. If you feel you have to post images, make sure that they're properly compressed and no more than 100KB at the absolute most.

Images are not welcome in signatures, as they can significantly increase the load time for users. Your avatar is a space for an image, your signature is not.

5. Trolling, Flaming and Whining threads will be closed. We're not here to pit one distro or OS against another. In fact, most of us use multiple OS's and/or distros. Likewise, if you're displeased with Fedora and want to leave parting remarks, comment to the developers using the Communicate links at FedoraProject (handy "jump" is at top of the page). Remember that the Forum is users helping users and that we can't 'fix' the distro itself.

I suggest you read the rest of the guidelines as well, they can be found at http://fedoraforum.org/?view=guide

Dan
30th September 2009, 11:58 AM
As the OPs question has been essentially answered ... and nobody has exactly covered themselves in glory here ...

Thread closed.