PDA

View Full Version : Newbee on the forum

Artemis
2nd October 2004, 01:47 PM
I just want to say hello to you guys.

My name is Robert and I recently installed Fedora Core 2 on my system. I wanna learn a lot about Linux systems, because I think Microdoft did a realy bad step forward introducing Service Pack 2. I don't have much experiences about Linux but that's for me the reason why I subscribed me at this forum. In personal life I'm a IT-student from Holland.

Kind regarts,
Robert, nickname Artemis :rolleyes:

ilja
2nd October 2004, 01:49 PM
Hi Robert, Nickname Artemis,

have fun here :)

Holland is a nice place :D As a tip: read this as a help for your future life : http://www.fedoraforum.org/guidelines.php

AliOop
2nd October 2004, 07:53 PM
Artemis may I extend a hearty welcome. I don't think you will find a more friendly or informative group than the Fedoraforum. And Fedora is a great distro to start off with as well as stay with. I've tried many distros and still dabble with others on a separate test box but Fedora it the one for me. I hope you learn much and enjoy it as well. Keep coming back.

Jman
3rd October 2004, 02:20 AM
Hello and welcome. :)

superbnerd
3rd October 2004, 02:33 AM
Welcome.
I suggest you first learn the basic and check out the Fedora Faq (www.fedorafaq.org) and Fedora News (www.fedoranew.org) and of course just hangout here and you are sure to learn quickly.

Artemis
3rd October 2004, 11:05 AM
Welcome.
I suggest you first learn the basic and check out the Fedora Faq (www.fedorafaq.org) and Fedora News (www.fedoranew.org) and of course just hangout here and you are sure to learn quickly.

Thanx,

I got two cd's of CBTnuggets, called introduction to using linux and I'm busy learning the tactics. :)

bamboo_spider
3rd October 2004, 11:58 AM
I just want to say hello to you guys.

because I think Microdoft did a realy bad step forward introducing Service Pack 2.

Hi

Welcome to the forum
and a bigger welcome to open source and linux
- as they say "May the source be with you"

and theres a question - why was the SP 2 step really bad - because I happen to still have to use win xp at work so it will be worhtwhile to know whats terrible apart from the usual stuff.

Hey other forum users don't pelt mw with stones

hi once again

Artemis
3rd October 2004, 12:19 PM
Hi
and theres a question - why was the SP 2 step really bad - because I happen to still have to use win xp at work so it will be worhtwhile to know whats terrible apart from the usual stuff.

I got a very basic opinion about Microsoft SP2, and I'm not throwing bricks to Microsoft. For example I do like the MS Server 2003, it works fine for me. I just don't like the new firewall and the way of security MS enhanched the XP-family with.

Ug
3rd October 2004, 01:49 PM
- as they say "May the source be with you"
Thats terrible!

ieuuk
9th October 2004, 11:38 PM
hey, im new to this too but im very impressed so far... liking the site a lot.

also that joke was awful...

Ug
10th October 2004, 10:05 AM
Hello to you too.

ilja
10th October 2004, 10:08 AM
Hi ieuuk,

welcome on board.
I have a question: could you maybe make you picture in the signature a bit smaller.
It is atm 13.25kb big, so for a modem user it makes the board very slow.

imdeemvp
10th October 2004, 10:11 AM
Make yourself at home! Visit the How-To section for any question you may have.

ieuuk
10th October 2004, 11:16 AM
yeah sure, i'll do it now...

ieuuk
10th October 2004, 11:22 AM
there you go, 8.5kb now

Ug
10th October 2004, 11:27 AM
ieuuk - could you remove the image from your signature please? Its a breach of the forum guidelines. (http://www.fedoraforum.org/guidelines.php?)

Shadow Skill
11th October 2004, 03:13 AM
Welcome, I personally refuse to even install SP2 I don't need that "virus" smashing an otherwise well running windows setup.

ieuuk
11th October 2004, 04:14 PM
thing is for the average user, sp2 is better cos it makes the firewall and anti virus look all pretty

jcstille
11th October 2004, 04:29 PM
thing is for the average user, sp2 is better cos it makes the firewall and anti virus look all pretty

Nothing like unfunctional pretty GUI's.

ieuuk
11th October 2004, 04:41 PM
mmmm prettyness :-D lol

i run sp2 and havnt had any problems with it... that and its going to become a compulsary download at somepoint if you use windows update

jcstille
11th October 2004, 04:51 PM
Yes it will. It does a couple of good things. I just find it so amusing that 2 of the first 3 updates to SP2 came out within the first 5 days and were kernel upgrades.