PDA

View Full Version : Fedora 11 Reboot Loop Problem

GrahamK
26th September 2009, 05:54 PM
Hi All,

I have a wee bit of a problem running Fedora Core 11. I turned on my box for the first time in a month or so yesterday and installed all oustanding updates. I then rebooted as required and since then I have the scenario whereby the system boots through to the Sky blue screen with the "F" logo in the circle, and then it reboots, and it'll do that for as long as I leave it too.

Can anyone tell me what might have happened or how to break it out the loop and suggest more steps for diagnosis / fix??

Many Thanks
Graham

glennzo
26th September 2009, 07:14 PM
I would probably edit the boot menu on the fly. Select the kernel that you will be booting and press 'e' to edit. Then arrow down to the line that starts with kernel and press 'e' again to edit that line. Backspace over rhgb and quiet to get rid of those options. Add a space and the number 3. Press enter and press 'b' to boot. This will show you all the action while booting and will leave you at the command prompt, from which you can log in and check logs, etc. This is a one-time-only thing. Next time you boot it will be as if you had never touched the menu.

GrahamK
27th September 2009, 08:11 PM
Hello Glenn,

Many THanks for your reply - is there a particular log I should be looking for - something similar to the windows Bootlog?? And also will I be able to fire up GEdit from the command prompt to view the logs too?

Many Thanks
Graham

glennzo
27th September 2009, 09:53 PM
Several logs are in the /var/log folder. Maybe the system is having serious trouble with the NVidia or ATI drivers? Just a guess. Look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log.
su -c 'cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep EE
This will print all errors logged in that file to the screen. boot.log may be helpful too. See if there's anything in those 2. Did you boot to run level 3? Did you notice any errors there?

Nokia
27th September 2009, 11:02 PM
1. Try booting the previous kernel
2. Give more hardware specs...if possible.