PDA

View Full Version : Main Menu application Launch

OainjaQakanj
26th September 2009, 10:18 AM
Hola. I install varCAD and it works well in terminal and if navigate in bin directory. But not if I put command or directory in Launcing properties in Menu. It gives error, Failed to change to directory '~' (No such file or directory). Why it gives this? Should I use ln -s to create a link or what i should do to make launchinc easy.

giulix
27th September 2009, 12:13 PM
~ alone does not mean anything, it is usually used in conjunction with a user name. Say your user name on your Linux box is oainja, then ~oainja refers to the absolute path of your home directory (e.g. /home/oainja). You can add an entry in the menus by right-clicking the Applications menu on your Gnome Panel. Navigate to the place where you want to add a new entry (you can also create a new menu), and press New Item. Enter a name for the new application, the complete path to the executable and a comment. You can specify a custom icon, too, clicking on the standard top-left icon. Then press Ok and you're done.

parish
27th September 2009, 06:10 PM
~ alone does not mean anything, it is usually used in conjunction with a user name. <...snip>
Just a slight correction. ~ alone means the home directory of the currently logged in user. For example, if I'm logged in as daniel, typing cd ~ takes me to my home directory.

Daniel

OainjaQakanj
27th September 2009, 08:11 PM
Yeap, it works when i add a new launch, but not the modified Menu properties launch what Varicad creates. not even /opt/VariCAD/bin/varicad full path. Is that a bug or what?

giulix
28th September 2009, 02:28 AM
Just a slight correction <...snip...>

I stand corrected... ;)

Yeap, it works when i add a new launch, but not the modified Menu properties launch what Varicad creates. not even /opt/VariCAD/bin/varicad full path. Is that a bug or what?

Well, probably. Only way to be sure is to open a bug, I guess :)